The Reef Tank banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any pictures of this in their tank? or Have any knowlege about the care of it? I really want to try it but I want to make sure I'm not going to kill it right off.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Bump.

Such as how much light? Feeding? flow? I don't have any SPS so I need as much info as possible! Thanks!

·
Registered
164 Posts
I'm getting an orange one in a month ( or maybe superman/sunset encrusting) or two so I have been doing a little research. What type of lights do you have? sps like higher lighting (you prob knew that)

Have decent flow, the more flow the thicker and shorter it will grow, less flow and it will grow taller and thiner braches. (I like when the branches are thicker, presonal prefference though.)

Whats your tank specs? Do you have good water quality? ro/di water or tap?

I have 2 t5 high out put light fixtures over my tank and have successfully keep a pink birds nest.. so I assume it is enough for monti. Pc lighting wont work.. my first attempt :p

I'm not going to feed mine b/c my tank is small (and I plan on down grading) You do not have to feed them, but I'd try phyto plankton if you did

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm getting an orange one in a month ( or maybe superman/sunset encrusting) or two so I have been doing a little research. What type of lights do you have? sps like higher lighting (you prob knew that)

Have decent flow, the more flow the thicker and shorter it will grow, less flow and it will grow taller and thiner braches. (I like when the branches are thicker, presonal prefference though.)

Whats your tank specs? Do you have good water quality? ro/di water or tap?

I have 2 t5 high out put light fixtures over my tank and have successfully keep a pink birds nest.. so I assume it is enough for monti. Pc lighting wont work.. my first attempt :p

I'm not going to feed mine b/c my tank is small (and I plan on down grading) You do not have to feed them, but I'd try phyto plankton if you did
I have a two 54bulb t5 fixture, a 55 gallon, I don't have an RODI set up so I'm using tap as much as I don't want to be, but I live a pretty good way in the woods so its not city water.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I have a brown/gold Montipora digitata. I have 4 watts per gallon of T5, and it does well anywhere in the tank. I have two main pieces, and a half dozen other pieces in various spots. If you keep the calcium level at least at 400, it will really grow. In the past four years, I've probably given away about 5 times the amount that is currently in my tank.

In low flow, it will remain the same size. It likes medium flow. I occasionally feed it some oyster eggs.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
My LFS sells them. It needs to stay frozen, so it would be expensive to buy just one container on-line. The particles are extremely small; it looks like a whitish cloud when I add it to a shot-glass full of water from my tank, then target feed my corals with a turkey baster. Here is a link for the product that I use.

http://www.dtplankton.com/

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Below is a quote from one of the experts.
These oyster eggs have a very good nutritional profile, and appear to maintain their nutritional value over long periods of frozen storage. The eggs have a strong "fresh ocean" smell, and elicit a strong feeding response from both fish and invertebrates. I greatly look forward to the regular availability of this product as a natural and beneficial plankton-subsitute for my other reef systems.

- Eric H. Borneman

·
Registered
827 Posts
I have a two 54bulb t5 fixture, a 55 gallon, I don't have an RODI set up so I'm using tap as much as I don't want to be, but I live a pretty good way in the woods so its not city water.
I wouldnt try if i were you that not near enough lighting and the tap water isnt good for the coral especially an sps

·
Premium Member
6,679 Posts
Get RODI first!
but for Digitata you DO have enough light. Actually you can grow Digi and Cap. under power compacts. Ths biggest issue you will hane is the water. Using Tap your tank is full of Phosphates and silicates. Any SPS you put in there will likely turn brown within a week or two.

With any SPS there is absolutely NO REASON to feed them. SPS require pristine water quality for best growth and color and feeding the tank will only pollute it and add to your phosphate issues...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts