The Reef Tank banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
odd question here. one of my chromis is turning purple. well, at least he hasa spot of purple on his side.

it's pretty much square shaped, and about the same color as purple corraline algae. i'm not sure when it appeared, but i just noticed it today.

i cant get a pic, because they are such neurotic swimmers.

i know it cant be corraline, because they are so fast. and i dont think chromis changed to purple?

however, i jsut got through doing a water change, turkey basting all the live rock, and vacuming the substrate. immediatly afterwards is when i noticed the purple spot on the chromis.

could it be maybe a bruise. like perhaps he jsut got scared during the cleaning and hit himself on a rock or something? i know its not from adding the new makeup water (ie: different chemistry) because the new water had not been added yet. i noticed it before topping off.

i'm going to keep a very close eye on him for the next few hours/days and see what happens. this particular fish seems to be doing fine though. swimming normally, still schooling with the other two, and still nipping at particulates floating in the water in an attempt to eat.

any ideas?

·
Registered
83 Posts
There are a number of different colored Chromis, including a purple one, but it starts out that way. Can you tell us which Chromis species you're talking about?

In any case, if the spot is only on one side you have to assume it's an abnormality. Small splotches of abnormal color aren't unusual, may just be a response to a minor injury, and may be temporary. If it spreads, however, it probably indicates an infection or cancer.

·
Registered
706 Posts
newfiemom,
Maybe he is confused, unsure or just "experimenting". Could just be a stage....

Humans "come out of the closet"
Chromis "come out of the reefwork"

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
lol :funny:

sat, i have the blue/green chromis. they change color under the lights, depending how the light hits thier bodies.

at any rate, the purple patch is gone now. so i have to assume that it was either an injury, that healed really fast. or maybe some of the cyano or corraline got stuck on his body during the cleaning, or, he was in fact, "experimenting"

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.