The Reef Tank banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could someone explain to me about pressurized pumps verses non pressure pumps...also how come Iwaki pumps with Japanese motors don't come with a power cord...how do you run them? I'm looking to upgrade my system, would like to get a new sump, new skimmer, and new pumps. Just don't know where to begin. The UV is a 40w Emperor Aquatics, so I could start there-but I guess, could always go without the UV also. The current sump isn't really a sump its an old wet dry three chamber design so water basically flows through the bottom like a settling sump (just a helluva lot shorter) The sump is now behind the cabinet and can change to just about anything-there is plenty of room. The skimmer really doesn't have height restriction either. The tank is a 359g. I'm willing to save up some money overtime to get it right and would like to get it right this time with something that really won't need to be upgraded at a later, but really don't understand how to join up all the pieces (sump, return pump, skimmer pump, and appropriate circulation utilizing all the pumps and sump). Can anyone help out with some knowledge, or thoughts...

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
pressure rated pumps are able to pump their maximum GPH longer as the head height, or number of equipment pieces are added to them. any amount of head pressure on a low pressure pump really starts lowering the amount of flow it is pushing.

a good example is the difference between a Mag 7 and a Velocity T3. they are both rated with a max of about 700gph. the Mag 7 though will only push water to about 12'. the Velocity will push water up to about 28'. what this means is that you can place a Velocity nearly 2 stories below in a basement and still get flow!! while the Mag would have a hard time getting up a one story from the basement. lets say that a skimmer add 7' of head pressure to a pump. a Mag 7 would only be pushing about 300gph at this point. the Velocity on the other hand will still be pushing just shy of 700gph!! you could prolly run 2 of those type skimmers with that one pump!

you could run a skimmer and a return off of a Velocity T3 if the return only needed to be about 300gph. you could easily run a skimmer and a UV with this pump also.

i hope i made some sense for you?

G~

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, kinda, it helped...but how do you know what the fall of is gonna be, if you have multiple things hooked to a pump how do you know how much water is circulating to each device. For instance if I use a pump to return water to the tank and that water returns to a Uv, which then goes to the skimmer, how do I know that the skimmer is receiving enough water before actually doing it. Also how do you determine how big the sump has to be with all these attachments and their water needs to hold enough to circulate to them all, still have enough to flow through the sump and also have enough room to handle overflow if the power goes out. I don't know how to put it all together.

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
unfortunately you really do not know untill you try it. :( it is very difficult to guess how much head pressure an item is going to add to a pump. then when you add more than one item to a pump. you have to start valving flow in order to get head pressures equalized in order to keep all of the flow from going to one item. water always like to take the easiest route. water flow meters are also expensive and difficult to use in these situations. it really is a lot of trial and guessing. :(

as for figuring out sump size. find one of the tank size calculators. measure the surface area of the tank. use 1" as the height of the tank. this will give you a good guesstimate of the amount of water that will drain when the pump is turned off. generally it is less than 5g, but good to double check.

G~

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Believe it or not that really is a great help. Guesswork I can do, but thought there might be some formula or something that I didn't know about...Thank you very much for your help!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts