The Reef Tank banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 25 gal sump, in it will be a skimmer driven by a mag pump, Its an AGA tank with overflow on the end. I have built a Durso stand pipe for it. I also have 2 mag9 pumps and 1 mag7 pump. what would be the best way to plumb the overflow{which pump} Second I have 2 swqds to be installed. should I use one mag9 with a SQWD in a closed loop and the other as part of the overflow with the return going to the other SQWD. Another idea is the overflow with the return being the mag7 and the 2 mag 9s both closed looped with the SQWDs. Which would be the best way to get the maxium water movement.

MINIATUS:dance:

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
imo opinion. the two mag 9's on two closed loops. the mag 7 on the return.

what size is your tank. you mentioned aga, but whats the size.

course, thats just my opinion. wait for more :)

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
oh yeah, i would use the 7 as the return and the 9's on the closed loops. i belive in only sending as much through your sump, as you are sending through your skimmer. the flow you need doesnt need to be sent through the sump. many folks dont even use sumps.

·
Ughhh.. Dinoflagelettes..
1,262 Posts
I would use the 7 on the skimmer, use the 9's on the SQWD's, and buy yourself a Mag 12 for return...

I have a Mag 7 as a return on my 29... ;)

·
Ughhh.. Dinoflagelettes..
1,262 Posts
in that case, I would use one of the 9's for return, and the 7 and 9 for CL's with the SCWD's...

It's not worth skimping on your filtration pump...

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
i'm not sure how well a 7 is going to perform on a scwd though. everyone says they significantly reduce the flow from a pump. and if you ask casey, the 7 isnt "kick butt" :lol:

seriously though, it might really slow down a 7 quite a bit.

buzz.. why so much flow through a sump?

·
Premium Member
34,435 Posts
i am going to agree with Jay on this one. i do not see the need to lose total flow in the system due to head pressure. i think the mag 7 as the return would give you maximum flow in the entire system. also using the 7 as a return will allow a smaller overflow. as far as using the SCWD's i have not used one so i do not know. my gut feeling is only use on SCWD on a mag 9 as a random current maker, if the flow is reduced that much going through them. leave the other mag 9 wide open. i would still split the returns to different sides of the aquarium though.

this is my, thinking of course i am ignoring lose of flow due to head pressure. ;) why push 900gph through a sump, when only 300gph is going through the skimmer. those 600gph are just going along for the ride. these 600g are just acting as a total flow for the system. i think using these at 0 head pressure would be better.

G~

·
Registered
807 Posts
I had a mag 9.5 as the return on my 90 with one 1" drain and one 3/4" return and it just about crested the tank. I had a Little Giant on the cls and that combo worked well. I would put at least a Mag 9.5 on the return even if you have to buy another for the cls. You may want to run the 2 cls pumps in-line outside the sump as they will probably generate a fair amount of heat. Then use the Mag 7 for a skimmer. I have a heavy bio-load in my tank and wanted a lot of flow through the sump for the filter floss to pull out as much crap as possible. Just remember if you use mechanical filtration to change the floss every few days or it generates a lot of nitrates.

·
Premium Member
34,435 Posts
Joel said:
I had a mag 9.5 as the return on my 90 with one 1" drain and one 3/4" return and it just about crested the tank.
i would go up to 1" pipe then to slow down the velocity of the water. you will not be decreasing the total flow any, it just seems that way.

Joel said:

I had a Little Giant on the cls and that combo worked well. I would put at least a Mag 9.5 on the return even if you have to buy another for the cls. You may want to run the 2 cls pumps in-line outside the sump as they will probably generate a fair amount of heat. Then use the Mag 7 for a skimmer. I have a heavy bio-load in my tank and wanted a lot of flow through the sump for the filter floss to pull out as much crap as possible. Just remember if you use mechanical filtration to change the floss every few days or it generates a lot of nitrates.
i agree with Joel here. if you are going to use floss as a detritus remover and it is in the sump that it would be good idea to have greater flow through the sump.

G~

1 - 11 of 11 Posts