The Reef Tank banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As of now I am using a Supreme Hy-Drive pump (model 2600 high-head). It's specs are 2600 (Flow Rate gph), Max Head of 26.5ft, and 270 Watts. The problem is this is my second one. The first one malfunctioned on me and when I did water changes it would not turn back on, eventually the impeller inside became damaged. The one I have now is seemingly headed down the same path. I have talked with Dr. Foster and Smith's and they will replace it again, or, I could go with a similar externale pump which will more than compensate for this Hy-Drive. The pump is the Lifegard Aquatics 1/2 HP self-priming external pump. It's specs are 3,600 GPH, Max head of 38ft, 793 Watts.

I have a 125 gallon saltwater tank on the first floor of my home and two 55 gallon tanks downstairs (refugium/sump). Also, the current head height for my set up is approximately 12ft. Should I go back to the internal pump, or make the change to this enternal pump? Furthermore, is this external pump any good? And lastly, has anyone else had these issues with the Hy-Drive internal pumps?

Thanks,
Sean

·
Premium Member
12,214 Posts
Some pumps are like power heads..they don't pump under pressure.....no head pressure. If you're pumping up one story, then this must be a powerful pump. They don't ususally fail as new unles they run dry.....or are running with cavitation....air & water....not good!!!!

I have a Hammerhead pump I use for my skimmer....big cahoona type....pumps with pressure. Don't know how to explain it....

Maybe soemone can do better...sorry.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am pretty sure it does pump with pressure. Either one of these are pretty hefty pumps. The only issue is I am having problems with this Hy-Drive pump. And I know a lot of people prefer external pumps so I was wondering if anyone could recommend this external pump if I decided to switch to external, my ptions are limited to what is available at DR. F&S in the exchange.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts