The Reef Tank banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an ampmaster 3000 running my closed loop. Sometimes it makes this high pitched noise that comes from the impeller housing. I thought it was because the pump was dirty so I cleaned it but the noise still comes back.

I called dolphin and they need to see the pump to determine what is wrong. I want to get it fixed before the warranty expires, but I don’t think the tank is going to do ok without the water movement of the loop. The noise comes and goes, but it is annoying when it is there. What should I do?

Jorge

·
Registered
921 Posts
pump problems

Buy a backup, perhaps less powerful, and send the ampmaster to be repaired. There was a tread last week with a Mag 2400 for $75. It will always be wise to have a spare for emergencies.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
I have a *brand new* Dolphin 2700 and it makes a similar noise, I think. Does it kind of sound like a wire or other object is lightly touching the little rotating disk that you can see on the outside of the pump? Mine isn't so high pitched that it sounds like something is deadly wrong, but I have wondered about it. Seems to happen for maybe 45-60 seconds, then it stops for an hour or so. When I hear it, I go investigate, but I can't see anything obviously wrong with it. Must be inside the housing, like you say.

I thought it was normal (never had anything to compare it too), so let me know if you find something out.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I guess getting another pump is going to be the only option. Hopefully I can find one not too expensive.

Jorge

1 - 5 of 5 Posts