The Reef Tank banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What size pump should I use on a 125g allglass it has two returns, I planed on putting in a tee so I can use just one pump. Is 800 gallons an hour about right? Also shoud I use my old 39g tank as a sump or my 55g tank.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I have a Poseidon T4 running the return for my 125. The 39 gallon would be a great size sump, you could use the 55 but you don't need to.

·
Registered
363 Posts
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=2 width=620 border=0><TBODY><TR class=siteEiko1TD><TD>Poseidon PS4 Performance Chart

</TD></TR><TR><TD>
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

·
Registered
363 Posts
At 6ft headloss it is about 1020 GPH, and extremely quite. With the t joint it will be slowed a bit, but will still be sufficient...

·
Little fish in a big pond
5,916 Posts
You could also try a Mag Drive 1800. I don't have the chart handy, but it should push enough - or the 2400 if you want some extra flow.

You want to turn the water over 8-10 times per hour so you want at least 1250 gph after the loss with head pressure.

Keep in mind also, that the more twists and turns in your return plumbing, the more head loss you'll have also.

Jenn

·
Registered
609 Posts
The overflows are rated around 600gph each. I have a Mag 18 on my 125 and it works fine. I then added another mag 18 with a SCWD on a closed loop. Now I have a little flow but still could use a little more.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts