The Reef Tank banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so as i thought my xenias are now not opening and seem to have shrunk. my ph, salinity, and para. are perfect. temp goes from 78 to 81 when lights are off and on. There is no slim or anything unusual coming opff of them. i am running purigen, seael, and denitrate so i am not to concerned with it poluting my water. I am doing a 2 gallon change today and will test the water before i do it. the main question is i was told to leave them alone and when/if the melt to almost nothing they will regrow and since they were in my water the new growth will be tolarent to my water by the 2nd or 3rd generation. is that true?

·
Enjoy it now
4,085 Posts
ime, xenia CAN grow back given the right conditions. But there is no law that says they WILL or HAVE to grow back, ya know? Each tank is different. Sounds like your water quality is much to pristine for pulsing xenia.

I had some that thrived and then I worked on cleaning my water up...lowered nutrients, more water changes, ran carbon more aggresivly...and they faded out never to return.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes my water is very pristine which is the way i want it. i would rather lose the xenias i got for little to nothing then lose my clam. like i said i run seacem seagel, seacem purigen, and seacen denitrate. My para. are ammonia 0 nitrite 0 PH is around 8-8.2 and nitrate 0-15. temp goes from 78 at night to 81 durning the day and SG is 1.023-1.024. everything else is thriving including the clam which is brighter and fuller then it was at work(thatfishplace)

·
Forever Reef
2,214 Posts
xenia sometimes wont live in SPS conditions..also new tanks..they like really low flow, but can live in medium flow..no more than 200gph in the entire tank..but about xenia melting then coming back..ive never seen that

·
Registered
8,350 Posts
I have kept a few kinds of xenia side by side with sps without any problems. Here is a pic of my 75 gallon tank with both Red Sea pulsing xenia (above the red mushrooms) and Blue anthelia (to the left of the hammer). As you can see, they are surrounded by healthy sps. I think getting a healthy frag is the hardest part. Xenia does not ship well most of the time.

·
Registered
26 Posts
It's funny but I had pink pom pom xenias growing very well along with various sps coral for a couple of years. The tank is gone now( crashed last year) but I had at least 30 sps corals and frags including 8 acroporas. I've really missed them now that I think about it.

·
Premium Member
7,375 Posts
yes my water is very pristine which is the way i want it. i would rather lose the xenias i got for little to nothing then lose my clam. like i said i run seacem seagel, seacem purigen, and seacen denitrate. My para. are ammonia 0 nitrite 0 PH is around 8-8.2 and nitrate 0-15. temp goes from 78 at night to 81 durning the day and SG is 1.023-1.024. everything else is thriving including the clam which is brighter and fuller then it was at work(thatfishplace)
This is just my opinion. If your nitrate is climbing to 15 ppm then I don't think your water is overly pristine. I think that all the filter media you are using could be stripping your water of valuable trace elements. This is very easy to do in a small tank. Your clam is also very dependant on these trace elements. If it were my system, I would do a large water change with a salt mix that claims to have higher levels of trace elements like RC. Then I would remove all the filter media for about a week. If the xenia improve you can be fairly confident that the filter media is the problem. Reducing the amount of filter media you use may not only save your xenia, but could also save your clam from serious problems down the road. Just my :2cents:. Good luck:)

·
I've got the REEF rash!
61,658 Posts
They don't like clean water!I use to frag them once a week when I had my Remora Aqua C pro skimmer.Once I got the Coralife that I could skim so much better!They all died!Miss the money but don't miss fragging so much!

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This is just my opinion. If your nitrate is climbing to 15 ppm then I don't think your water is overly pristine. I think that all the filter media you are using could be stripping your water of valuable trace elements. This is very easy to do in a small tank. Your clam is also very dependant on these trace elements. If it were my system, I would do a large water change with a salt mix that claims to have higher levels of trace elements like RC. Then I would remove all the filter media for about a week. If the xenia improve you can be fairly confident that the filter media is the problem. Reducing the amount of filter media you use may not only save your xenia, but could also save your clam from serious problems down the road. Just my :2cents:. Good luck
Not that i dont appricate it I do but thats not it. I have run seagel, purigen, and denitrate on all my systems with no problem. They are just organic removers like carbon just on steroids. Along with all my co workers and store display tanks. Never lost a clam acutally always have uncontrollable growth. Thanks anyway if there is one thing i swear by it is running those three things.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Not that i dont appricate it I do but thats not it. I have run seagel, purigen, and denitrate on all my systems with no problem. They are just organic removers like carbon just on steroids. Along with all my co workers and store display tanks. Never lost a clam acutally always have uncontrollable growth. Thanks anyway if there is one thing i swear by it is running those three things.

Do you use seagel, purigen, and denitrate in place of carbon?

·
Premium Member
7,375 Posts
Okay, we know there is a problem, because your xenia are dieing. So what could it be? You have a very high quality lighting system and Xenia are known to be wonderfully adaptable when it comes to light, so I believe it's safe to rule out lighting as an issue. You have tested your water and all seems to be within acceptable range. All the other inhabitants seem healthy, so it should be safe to assume that this is not a reaction to a build up of pollutants. Xenia don't need any direct feeding, so food is not an issue. The other tank inhabitants are not bothering the coral so this can be ruled out. So, what's left? What is it that would cause xenia to react negatively while everyone else seems healthy? .......Trace elements. It is believed that xenia are highly dependant on trace elements like Iodine and iron. Most people that propagate xenia for profit add one or both of these elements to their systems. Activated carbon is very efficient at removing these elements. Seagel is more than 50% activated carbon. All of these filter medias have an impact on trace elements. This does not make them bad. The only difference between a trace element and a toxin is the amount of the substance in the water. In normal situations these filter medias keep trace elements below levels that can cause problems. When the tank is only 24gl it is very easy to use to much of this material causing a depletion of trace elements. When this happens, those animals most dependant on these trace elements will suffer first, like xenia. If there is a more logical explanation I don't see it. I am only trying to help. This is your system and you can keep running the same amount of filter media if you choose to. The xenia not being able to survive in your system could be a sign of problems that could eventually affect your other corals. Good luck, and I hope you get it all figured out.

·
Registered
257 Posts
We experienced the same thing. Moved it to different lighting and it came back so healthy it split very quickly. It looked great unit our blue linkia star ate it for lunch.

·
Registered
213 Posts
you don't need to worry about losing a clam to dirty water. clams are filter feeders and are known to like nitrates. when my tank was bordering on a crash a couple of months ago my clams were very happy. my frogspawn was not so happy. anyway, clams don't mind dirty water. after they reach a couple of inches they don't need it, but they definitely tolerate it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts