The Reef Tank banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello TRT I need some help.

I bought a few small pieces of pulsing xenia. I had them low in my tank and in in pretty fast flow, to the point they were not pulsing.they were here for about 2 weeks. After noticing that they were stringy looking and not pulsing I thought maybee I would move them again. I now have them about half ways up and In low flow. they get a slight swish swash but they are not blown around like before.

My question is was moving them a good idea?

They have been there for about a week all params are good. They dont seem to be getting better any so Im not sure were to go from here.

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
302 Posts
Xenia can be hit or miss from tank to tank so that could be the reason. Having said that, they grow like weeds in my tank but still on occassion go through periods where they don't pulse and don't look good. They always seem to perk up after a few days. I don't think moving them would have caused a problem - they seem tolerant of a wide range of flow - from very high to very low. I would give them some more time and see what happens...

·
Registered
726 Posts
+1 Xenia are hit or miss. My tank was a miss, mine died after a few weeks......all params were perfect as well. I think ill give it another try in a few months or so.....good luck, hope they turn around!!!!

·
Administrator
18,786 Posts
That's very common. As you figured, if they get too much of it they tend to not pulse. Personally I think moving them was fine. They may need to be moved again before you find the right spot for them.

Xenia are an odd coral from my experience, in some tanks they grow like weeds and in others they just die no matter how hard you try. My main tank simply won't keep them but my BioCube is like a xenia factory.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I've got two xenia plugs that seem very healthy, but never pulse (pompom pulsing), a third one was placed where there was too much current for it, shrunk to nothing and just 'dissapeared' (I still have the block in there if there are any remnants to return). Yet, my anthelia is growing all over the place, fragments on it's own and starts growing wherever a fragment lands. Strange. I wish the xenia would pulse, it's beautiful to watch, but despite moving them around, it's just never happened.

·
Premium Member
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys. Im glad to hear it isnt just me I will have to go home and look for another spot with a little more flow I think. My LFS had them about mid way up in the tank. I have 4x54 t5 HO so IM not worried about the amount of light they are getting. My skimmer is down at the moment and has been for a little while I actually have a local craftsman making me a new one ( but he is tanking forever!). Could this be part of the reason that they are not pulsing.

Despite of not having the skimmer I do not have a nitrate issue what-so-ever, in fact my lfs says i have some of the best water that he tests. I have been using lugols solution. Maybee this could be cause?

Ne who thanks for all the advice you guys are the bomb!

·
Premium Member
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well...a little nitrate would actually do the xenia good. You're water is probably too clean for them. That's the issue with my main tank. I keep it cleaner because of all the SPS in there. My BioCube is my lagoonal tank and the xenia goes nuts in there.

O wow I didnt think I could have to clean of water. Is there any food besides light they they perfer? Maybe I just wont be able to keep it. It kind stinks cuz it looks awsome when a big cluster of it is pulsing away. I love how it adds movement.

Anyone suggest any other similar corals?

·
Premium Member
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Alright well I moved the xenia and the power head, which was bothering me were it was ne way, and it looks like it gets pretty good flow now so....fingers crossed. I will let them soak it up there for another week and see what happens.

I hope my guy hurrys up with this skimmer. I could have got one flown in from china faster!

Thanks again everybody!

·
Registered
74 Posts
That's very common. As you figured, if they get too much of it they tend to not pulse. Personally I think moving them was fine. They may need to be moved again before you find the right spot for them.

Xenia are an odd coral from my experience, in some tanks they grow like weeds and in others they just die no matter how hard you try. My main tank simply won't keep them but my BioCube is like a xenia factory.

My cube is like a Xenia greenhouse. I have so much it hard to keep under control. It in high flow and low flow areas.

·
Premium Member
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So far so Good they seem to have already extended there branches more. I think they were not getting enough flow. Still not pulsing yet but It has only been a few days. I actually had my water tested and I had high nitrates. This is out of left field because I have never had high nitrates! Im pretty sure I found the source though. I think they are coming from some sediment I found in my sump. I do my water changes every friday ( today) so Im going to have to think of a way get that junk out of my sump while im at work...yes im on TRT at work...I know.

Ne suggestions?

I also think I should disconect all my flex hose and clean the inside of those. They are starting to build slime. Maybee some nitrates are hiding there.

·
Administrator
18,786 Posts
I did some research on this last night (because it sounded like you had done everything you could) and came a cross a reference in one of my books. It stated that a lack of iodine (iodide) would case pulsing corals not to pulse.

I don't recommend adding this directly if you don't have a test kit...but Kent Coral-Vite contains iodine and might do the trick. If you do have a test kit...check the levels.

·
Registered
726 Posts
I dose Iodine to my tank, the bare min......All my soft coral are thriving ever since i started it. I use kent tech I. Although the reason i started useing it is because i heard its great for Xenia.......but mine didn't make it!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts