The Reef Tank banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so I have a saltwater tank hundred gallon of course! Both of my puffers I think are dying are making me hella depressed My stars and stripe puffer has fin rot and my other dogface Puffer isn't eating what do I do!! But the prob is that he swimming perfectly! And it has currently been about 2months and no success, I tried force feeding my dogface puffer and it worked in the beginning but now he struggles when I tried holding him and the awful part is that he spits all the food I put in his mouth and now he runs away and blows at my food and I'm stressing!! I think I may did it too late,, I changed all the Levels the levels are perfect now the pH is 8.2 well close! I bought all types of different stuff to maintain and balance my salt levels like the stress coat and...quick start bacteria! I'm not thinking straight UPDATE: stars and stripped puffer not eating anymore and lays at bottom of the tank and when I look at his damaged fin he turns all the way around and when I stick food in the tank he pays no mind to it and his color is perfectly fine

UPDATE: stars and stripped puffer not eating anymore and lays at bottom of the tank and when I look at his damaged fin he turns all the way around and when I stick food in the tank he pays no mind to it and his color is perfectly fine

·
Registered
254 Posts
Not to be rude, but I think the awful part is force feeding the poor fish. I'm sure you meant well, but I think you may have caused more stress and harm by holding the fish down and cramming food in its mouth.

Sounds like the star and stripe one is a goner unfortunately. When you say levels are perfect, what parameters do you mean? pH isn't going to really affect a fish that much (unless is wayyyy out of whack). How is your ammonia, nitrite and nitrates?

·
Premium Member
6,284 Posts
Welcome to TRT. Sorry it's under such dire circumstances. First off, how old is the tank? Did it cycle before adding the fish? What's your ammonia? Nitrates, nitrites, salinity? Do you put any shells or cur stations for them to eat/break down their beaks with? These guys have teeth that grow and need to be filed down. Nature supplies shelled items for them to grind on and if they can't do that they will starve to death by way of not being able to eat.

Some people actually have vets out to manually file down their beaks. Yes, holding and filing down, not recommended but worse case scenario. It's very stressful for the fish. Now what have you added to the tank? For treatment of the fin rot?

·
Registered
256 Posts
Details on parameters and how long your tank has been set up per above comments is needed

Do you have any close up pictures of the fish and a full pic your whole setup?

This could help us identify diseases or inherent system problems

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey!! I have check the ammonia levels! The ammonia is almost perfect, so like green but not a really bright bright green and the nitrate level is blue but not a really a sky blue but is there something I can do to save my fish?

·
Premium Member
5,288 Posts
Per LiveAquaria,"The diet of the Stars & Stripes Puffer should include a variety of meaty food including squid, krill, clams, and hard shelled shrimp to help wear down their ever growing teeth."
What have you been feeding it or force feeding it ?

·
Underwater Demolitions
11,547 Posts
Hey!! I have check the ammonia levels! The ammonia is almost perfect, so like green but not a really bright bright green and the nitrate level is blue but not a really a sky blue but is there something I can do to save my fish?
I don't know what the colors mean as far as levels, but when it comes to ammonia "almost perfect" doesn't cut it. It has to be a perfect, spot on zero. Completely zero. Any ammonia at all is extremely toxic to fish.

It sounds to me like this is the case. Puffers eat a lot and poo a lot, so a tank requires lots of mature live rock, meticulous husbandry and aggressive skimming. If not, it is a recipie for disaster.

You mentioned that your tank was 2 months old and you used "quick start" bacteria to cycle it. Quick start bacteria is absolutely does not replace a proper cycle. Your tank simply cannot handle the bioload of two puffers, and certainly not any other fish you have in there.

Puffers are extremely hardy fish, and they can survive for quite a while in poor conditions which might explain how yours could have made it to the two- month mark. Ammonia burns gills, and even if your remaining fish lives it will be permanently damaged.

Please try to return your remaining livestock to the LFS or find them a suitable home. Then let your tank go through a proper cycle before you try again.

I don't mean to sound harsh. But it appears you love your fish; that is good and commendable. I think you want the best for them.

Best of luck, please keep letting us know how your situation is progressing. We'll talk you through it :)

Helen

·
Registered
980 Posts
It's likely too late, but here's what I'm thinking:
If your tank is NEW aka running less than 3 months, I'd do a BIG slow water change. Mix up 50 gallons of NEW salt water (you are using good water, not tap water I hope, read more on that by searching or looking for RODI water) in a clean container (a clean new garbage can is easiest) get the salt and temp as close as you can to your tank then drain 1/2 your water out and pump the new water back into your tank but do it over the course of a couple hours to reduce the shock. A small powerhead and some flex tube is perfect for this.
Now for food, I'm guessing these puffers are on the big side? Head over to your nearest bait and tackle shop and get the smallest fishing worms they sell, likely red wigglers. If your puffers are small, call all your LFS and ask for "live worms". These are blackworms but commonly mistaken and sold as either blood worms or tubiflex worms. These worms won't be the best diet for your puffers as they do need something "hard" to eat, but if a fish won't eat worms it's just a matter of time.

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
If your using api your ammonia is higher than its supposed to be. Ammonia on a api test kit should be yellow. I think it goes to green when it's higher than 0

1 - 10 of 10 Posts