The Reef Tank banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone!

So ive been doing alot of poking around the site, and the information everyone has is amazing.

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with these aquatop filter? Specifically the PSE1?

(www . truaqua . com) this is my first post could't link :lol:

The reviews on the site seem alright. I would be putting on my 10g nano reef that i started back in november that right now has two peppermint shrimp and some hermits. Probably gunna end up turning a 20g i have into the main and making the 10 a fuge, and then putting this on the 20g.

any and all input appreciated!

p.s. First Post:blob:

· Aquatic Philosopher
15,750 Posts
Welcome!

First of all, I have not even heard of this product and secondly most "combo" items normally do a very poor job, so I would pass on this product.

Next, since this is a 10g, you do not need a skimmer. Simple water changes can and will do as good as a job as a skimmer can do. Skimmers just do not work well on tanks smaller than 20g. Skimmers only become practical around the 40g marker.

Check out my skimmer thread linked below and maybe the Nano Jam thread. I think both will be good for your tank plans.

· Registered
71 Posts
I have this filter/ skimmer also that I plan on running in a 55 gallon tank. The reviews I found were pretty good for it so for the price I figured I'd try it. I'm still waiting on tax money to finish buying what I need to start my tank. Still need a RO/DI unit and salt mix and dry rock. Is a skimmer necessary for a 55 gallon tank. Seems like a real good one will run me about $150 plus. I got the Aquatop for I think around $60.

· Aquatic Philosopher
15,750 Posts
Skimmers become more useful for tanks over 40g... are skimmer "necessary": no, but they are economical at this tank size.

Get the RO/DI first... they are necessary.

· Aquatic Philosopher
15,750 Posts
definitely, absolutely, without a doubt.

Often the biggest mistake that folks wish they did not do was to use tap.

· Aquatic Philosopher
15,750 Posts
That is fine to start with... it just gets expensive in the long run... and heavy. I start this way... it was funny to see me buying 20+ gallons during the spring and loading it into the back of a Datsun. Definitely worth it to get an RODI when you can

Once all said and done, with an RO/DI you average out the cost per gallon to be about 5 cents, replacement filters and sewer fees included.

· Registered
71 Posts
That is fine to start with... it just gets expensive in the long run... and heavy. I start this way... it was funny to see me buying 20+ gallons during the spring and loading it into the back of a Datsun. Definitely worth it to get an RODI when you can

Once all said and done, with an RO/DI you average out the cost per gallon to be about 5 cents, replacement filters and sewer fees included.
Thanks. I'm defentially getting the RO/DI with tax money. Just wanted to get the tank going so the cycle process can start. Will adding dry rock when I get my money effect tge cycle. Like start it over. I was thinking it might not since nothing was living on it like bacteria or anything.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.