The Reef Tank banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess I need to face the fact that I need to prune my Star Polyps.

I am not iterested in fragging or selling I just want to restrict the growth.

Can I shade areas where I want to restrict growth or do I need to physically remove the coral? Are there other otptions?

Thanks

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Guess there are not many suggestions. Did a little rock scaping and it seems they have spread a bit more than I thought. I did manage to rip abour a 2 sq inch piece off of the rock and tried to shade as much as possible where I don't want it to spread. I'll try some more peeling in a day or so.

·
little fishy girl
4,135 Posts
glad y'alls gsp are doing good been over a month and mine still havent came back out :-( don'r know whats wrong with the poor guys

·
Registered
362 Posts
Shading Doesnt Seem To Do Anything In My Tank
Both My Gsp And Bsp Seem To Grow In Between And Behind The Rocks..under Over Hangs Etc. Just Cut Off..peel What Ever U Need To Do Scrap What U Dont Want And The Rest Will Keep Growing Fine.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks. What is the best way to peel it form the rock. Once I get a start it comes off pretty easy, but it is sometimes hard to get under the edge to get a place started. I would like to peel back 4 or 5 inches. I'm also switching from 10K to 14k MH bulbs. Hopefully that will slow down the growth a bit.

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
My gsp were taking over and I literally just took the whole chunk of rock out and scraped it with a knife forever it seemed like tring to pry and rip everyihng off. About a week later I had little green polyps popping out of crevices...it was insane! Even now i have a couple that are still living even tho their in one of the darkest areas of my tank

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Your scaring me now! Just kidding.. Any other rock I would just yank it, but of course this one is at the bottom of a big pile. There is a bunch of button polyps that seem to be holding them in place on 1 side and 2 side have them isloated on the current rock. Unfortunately the other side is where they are growing. Don't know how long it would take them to take over, but I know they have grown from a tiny sliver to about 10 sq" in about 18 months. The buttons aren't doing to bad either, but they started froim a much larger base.

·
little fishy girl
4,135 Posts
if yall know any secrets to grow gsp please let me know mines almost all closed and hasnt growed at all in the 2 months if had it the guy i bought it from it was doing so good now not so so any info would be great,
p.s. everything else in tank is great

·
Registered
362 Posts
Imho Good Current Makes Them Grow Faster...not Hard But Gentle Interminet Current. To Remove From Rock Get A Hoby Knife And Pry A Corner..then Get A Good Pair Of Strong Short Tweezers(like My Wife's...dont Tell Her) And Pry It Back..when It Rips Off..start Again And Again Until You Got Off What U Need.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.