The Reef Tank banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just got back to the hotel from Pruess Pets in Lansing. I have 5 corals on hold I'll pick up Sunday. They where $15 or 5 for 60 or 10 for 100. I got:
1" Bali Green Slimer
3" Pink Birds nest with about 30-40 tips.
Neon Green Digita
Red Digita
Unknow neon green Acro maybe a tort.

WOW They have soo much stuff and more corals than I have een seen on one place. Even Jim's entire farm could not stock this place.

Anywhoo Pics when I get em home!

·
Super Moderator
22,091 Posts
It IS a cool place no doubt.
Ya gotta watch the prices of some stuff tho, they seem a lil high IMO (and others agree after our frag swap trip this last winter)

They DO have lots of stuff, live and dry goods. If you need it, chances are they have it.

Other than the prices somewhat, i was impressed with them,,other than being too far away to check out more often :(

·
Premium Member
6,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Yeah the zoas seemed high. @ $29 and $49
But the SPS Frag prices where great from what I saw. Most of the frags were ebay size (1" and under) but there where a few here and there that where nicely priced...
Clam prices were also high 69$" for a 1.5" Crocea and 89$ for a 3"
They also have tons of used drygoods.

But I'd love to have the monster 16" Squamosa in the large display tank...

·
Super Moderator
22,091 Posts
Yeah, I sure didn't see those kind of deals when I was up there.

Dave, we were all snow blind,,,and prob missed a lot of stuff LOL :lol:

·
Hail Purdue! Boiler up!
190 Posts
Just remember that frag swaps are always going to be cheaper. After working at 2 different aquarium stores I can say that with confidence. Covering the store's overhead is what drives prices up. I'd venture to say a lot of times the prices aren't marked up that high to make a profit as much as to cover overhead. They can't afford to sell them any cheaper. Still it's nice to get good deals from fellow reefers.

·
Super Moderator
22,091 Posts
i like preuss for the variety and knowledgeable staff...
I got the same impression from them. For being a full spectrum shop as far as pets go, they did have all their bases covered. As a Parrot and Dog guy too, i slipped away from the aquatic stuff for a bit and checked out the rest of the place. It pretty much passed all my criteria for being a good shop.
With the internet/fellow reefers/frag swaps etc. it's REAL hard for brick n mortar shops to compete with that kinda prices. That's where you step up w/ knowledge and customer service(and good quality livestock/drygoods)

Not really standing up for Preuss right now, but think about this: Can you imagine what just the payroll for running the place is :nuts:, not to mention the overhead, even the heating/cooling/electric bill (we all know what a few MH's can add to a bill :freak:)would prob blow our minds.
In a world where anyone can get on their computer and click a order of anything up, ya gotta give credit to those mom n pops places still trying to stay open and have any kind of profit at the end of the month.

Don't get me wrong, i saw a few prices on livestock that made me shake me head,but overall i thought Preuss was a cool place, and not counting the time/gas$$ to get there, i would not mind visiting them again in the future .(But i'll be taking my wife, she holds the checkbook ;),and there was plenty of stuff there she woulda liked:rolleyes:. LOL.)

·
Shark bait
1,086 Posts
I was there again yesterday. Picked up some Pro-cure for new coral dips before introducing into tank. Also picked up a magnet for my modded MJ. So I can mount it anywhere.

I almost picked up two bags of fine sand - because Jenny wants me to put sand in the display or to get rid of the fine gravel in there and go BB. Based on the flow in the tank, I will be going BB.

·
Registered
547 Posts
I was at Pruess today, for the first time. People were very knowledgable. They even gave me the 'back doors' tour. Nice systems, although, I still like Inlands, Jim (MWC), and....Harbor (in the old days) better.

But, they said that they'll be remodeling and probably going to redo thier systems.

I was a little suprised that they don't breed clowns, since they seem to breed everything else.

Some things I found a little expensive. I was looking for a couple Bangaii cardinals, and was a little shocked to see a $49.95 sticker on them.

But, I was extremely happy with the "Buy 4, get 1 free" deal. Got a huge 'yellow' birdsnest with mulitple heads, 3" in Diamater, orange cap, blue Blassamossa, and two other frags for $60. Great deal, and nice size corals.

All in all, a great deal for some nice 'frags'.

·
Premium Member
6,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Even tho there 2 hours away thet definatly have the best SPS selection around. Some are pricey but most are fair (for a LFS) but the $15 frag tank has some great deals. I found the zoanthinds a little high but Oh well I can always go to Mothers Reef for Zoas...

There was some really great deals down in the furniture room on the clerance tanks. They had a 150T RR for $250 That I would have taken if I had the room.

I think the best thing they had going was there dry good selection....
I would love to have a local shop have 1/2 the drygood they had.

·
Registered
547 Posts
To be honest, with the cost of gas...I don't think it's worth the 2 hour drive. Although, I don't know what the alternative is. Perhaps ship the frags from Premium Aquatics...or Live Aquaria...

It cost me $50 round trip to go from Granger to Lansing. I drove a Hyundai Elentra (4 cyclinder) that get's 30 mpg.

The only reason I was in Lansing was because my parents were up there for an artshow.

Nice size frags, but like most typical LFS, you have to watch that price tag.

·
Premium Member
6,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I was up there for a M State graduation... I would not go there just for frags... It costs me close to $80 in the Tarus...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts