The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks, I have a friend who runs his skimmer only during his work and sleep hours. I have been doing the same. What do you guys do? Opinions?:wavey: Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I used to have myne on a timer, when the tank was in my bedroom; skimmer would not let the wife sleep. Now that the tank is at work it runs 24/7.

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
my lights are louder than my skimmer, 24/7 here and wet!

·
Registered
5,232 Posts
24x7x365 as well!

·
Stinky Slimey FEESH
2,718 Posts
I have always had my skimmer running 24x7 ---

HHC

·
Tang Lover
7,326 Posts
only time I turn mine off, is for a hour or two right after I've fed. Let's the corals get more of the scraps. Other than that...24/7/365

·
Administrator
46,674 Posts
If for whatever reason someone decides to run a skimmer only part time, I would suggest running it at night. This should help with the CO2 from respiration outgassing as well as keep Oxygen levels up.
Unless you are running a Big beckett or HSA type skimmer on a small tank, the chances are you arent going to overskim

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,652 Posts
The only time I shut my skimmer off is for cleaning, and I have a skimmer rated for a 300 G tank on a 50G tank, my 15G nano has a skimmer rated for 250 gallons.

I don't think you can overskim, I also don't think the biggest skimmer in the world could ever get your water as clean as it is in the ocean.

JMHO,
Whiskey

·
Registered
454 Posts
<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on" width="100%"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">I run mine 24/7</TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

·
The Muddy Mod
7,007 Posts
24/7/365

Welcome to TRT Numan!!!! :dance:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts