The Reef Tank banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I have a 40g reef tank that I started three weeks ago. With it, I bought one of those CPR BakPAk 2 protein skimmers. I am brand new at this and I bought it on the advice of my LFS. So far I have had nothing but problems with it. It's noisy, it produces hundreds of troublesome micro bubbles per minute, and I cannot get it to skim consistently. I've tried all of the tricks that have been recommended on various websites and am about ready to move on and try something else. I need some advice on where to go from here. Should i try a different HOB skimmer such as an Octopus or a remora, or should I build a sump and use a "real" protein skimmer, or should I stick it out with the one I have and hope it will get better? Btw, I have no fish at present, just a clean up crew(I know that no fish = very little skimmate), and my tank is made of glass with no built in overflow. My LFS said that a sump is overkill for my tank size but I want a second opinion. Your advice is appreciated. :thumbup:

·
Aquatic Philosopher
15,434 Posts
Build a sump and use a an insump skimmer (octopus NWB110 would be good). Sumps help on any sized tank. The CPR Bakpak skimmers are know for those the issues you noted. It might calm down once it is broken in but it will lessen, not stop some of the issues. The noise is what it is going to be.

I would suggest Gl*******s for modifying your tank, it is an easy drilling process that makes a 40g tank look good. I have seen several 40g tanks drilled this way and all are nice.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Gl*******s? I think the website messed up and edited your post. Will I have to drain my tank for this process to work? If so what should I do with everything in my tank while it is being done? I was looking into building an overflow. Is that not recommended? How hard is it to make a sump with an insump skimmer that is reasonably quiet(at least quieter than the BakPak)?

·
Aquatic Philosopher
15,434 Posts
Haha, it is the profanity filter. It is Glass holes but without the space in the middle...(google it)... very funny. Yes, you will have to drain the tank but with a 40g is should not be that hard. Just get a few totes to store everything in and it should take no more than a day to do. Easy weekend project. It would be much quieter and as long as you do not use a large return pump, it should be nearly silent.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Ive heard horror stories of overflow boxes getting air in them and then draining your tank...I am also having the same issue with a seaclone 100 skimmer...ugh haha

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Drilling it is then. One more question. I may have the opportunity to get a 65g in which case I could use my 40g as a sump. Does this sound like a good idea or will it mess up my cycling process?

·
Little Monster
838 Posts
hmm, if you think about getting a sump online than from your 40g I would suggest getting a sump from eshopps ;)

·
Registered
18 Posts
well weight the pros and cons of drilling? do you have to money to replace the tank if you mess up the drilling? and I have heard good things about...i think its cps overflow box...but there's always a chance. and if you drill are you still going to use it as a sump? I don't know much about salt water I work at a freshwater only store so this is all new to me also but it seems like a 40 gal sump for a 65 gal seems over kill. but that's just me...you can use a 5 g for a sump depending on where you drill the holes...but please don't haha!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
as for your tank being cycled I don't see how anything would change if you keep the water and the rock in the same container. the sand may change things? throw it in with em and you should be ok i imagine.

·
Aquatic Philosopher
15,434 Posts
Haha, I had a 65g for years. It is actually for sale (in SC unfortunately). The 40g might be a tough fit as most 65g stands will not accommodate it, it would have to be custom. If the 65g is a good deal, then why not? That was my choice when I was getting a tank a few years ago, the 65g was only about $20 more than a drilled 40g, so I went with the 65g. However, the 40 is easier to light and such. But if you are going with a 65g, then you might as well get a 120g... equipment costs are nearly the same as I was able to switch over all my 65g equipment (most was oversized anyway) to my 120g. Just check out the link in my sig... the part that says My Tank(s) and you will be my story

1 - 11 of 11 Posts