The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok, so I have decided to do a build post. I plan to keep softies in this tank, and the LR I got has some beautiful mushrooms and kenya trees. Here is what I have:

Equipment:

- 20g Long tank
- 25lb Caribsea Caribbean LS
- ~25lb Beautiful LR (from Jojon60)
- Orbit 65W Dual Actinic lighting
- Aqua Clear 70 Filter (planning to mod for fuge)
- 50W RENA heater (78deg)
- Tunze 9002 Nano Skimmer
- Koralia 1

Live stock:

- Pair of false percula clowns
- Bi-color Blenny
- Various snails
- 3 Blue legged hermits

Maintenance:

- Weekly 5g water changes
- Kent Coral-Vite (1 tsp weekly)
- Kent Tech-I Iodine (1 capful weekly)

Corals:
- Some brown mushrooms (that is their color, so guess that is what they are)
- Kenya Trees
- Some type of Zooanthid
- Button polyps
- Xenia

Parameters: 6/23
- Ammonia - 0
- Nitrite - 0
- Nitrate - 5

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Ok, the tank was going to be a sump/fuge for my 125 fowlr, but after getting glass, making sump, I found my measurments weren't quite exact enough (I blame alcohol :) ). So, after removing all of the baffles, partition, etc.. I decided to make a nano. (Yes, that is my thermometer next to the tank :funny:)

Tank:

Sand is in:

It is on my desk.. Guess I will have to straighen out my wall now and move all the pics.. :) My wife is not happy with the mess I currently have..

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, here is the LR. This is the day I got it, since the nano isn't quite ready, it will have to chill in my 125 for a few days. I really wasn't expecting to have LR yet. Hopefully by this weekend I will be able to move some to the nano. BTW, my wife was really mad when she saw this in the living room. :swear:

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Working on rock today. Tank is clear. Temp 78.4, Spg 1.026, Ph 8.28. Amm/Nitrite/Nitrate 0. Will have some rock pics later today or tomorrow..

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, got some rock in, but caused another sandstorm, so waiting it out. I did get a screen cover made for it though.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok, got some rock in. The storm has subsided for a while. Long enough for me to snap this shot. I think the right side is done, and I will add a mountainous area on the left side. Hope to do that tomorrow.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Mushrooms are looking nice and I am glad to see the little gorg opening up. I really like the right side of the tank.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Ok, here is the LR. This is the day I got it, since the nano isn't quite ready, it will have to chill in my 125 for a few days. I really wasn't expecting to have LR yet. Hopefully by this weekend I will be able to move some to the nano. BTW, my wife was really mad when she saw this in the living room. :swear:

i have this exact stand and canopy for my 55

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok, got the left side done. It is simple and still allows a lot of swimming room when my false percs get transfered over. It is still a bit cloudy after putting in the rocks, but was crystal clear this morning. If I get a chance, I will get another pic when it is fully clear again.

amm/nitrite/nitrate - 0
spg - 1.025
temp - 78.5

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok, we are clear, and did a mini-cycle. Last Thurs, I had readings of:
amm - .022
NO2 - .05
NO3 - 0

After my weekend in Atlanta, I came back to some light diatom bloom, and readings of:
amm - 0
NO2 - 0
NO3 - 2.5

So, I did a 10% water change, and moved my false percs from the FOWLR to my nano (the clown trigger had begun to chase them). So, here they are in their new home.

And, an update FTS:

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ordered a Tunze 9002 skimmer today for it. Should be here Thursday or Friday. Also, plan to get a cleaning crew started this week.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I adjusted my flow, and everyone looks much happier!

My happy shrooms:

My kenya trees, and something else that I have no clue what it is (looks like brown cups) :p

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Got some of my cleaning crew today. Got 3 blue legged hermits, 5 nass snails, 5 centh snails, and 5 astrea snails. They are happily chompin away.. :)

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ok, got my skimmer in the tank. Had to move some rocks around, so bit "snowy" for some decent pics. Cleaning crew is working great! Will try to get some more pics up soon.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts