The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
It is the way it is!!!!
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the planning stages of setting up a large reef tank and cannot make up my mind on which one to get a 125 6ft tank, or a 120 4ft tank, so I was hoping for some of you to give your opinions on which would be best. To start off let me say that I am strongly leaning toward T-5 for lighting and the tank will most likely be LPS and Montipora dominant with some zoa morphs in there as well (for the wife, I guess she thinks they are flowers!) I am also trying to keep this at as an energy efficient system so I can spend more money on inhibitants and not electricity so anything to help along those lines would be great also. Thanks in advance for your input.

·
ONE VERY BIG FISHY
699 Posts
i think with energy in mind/lighting, your best bet would be 125 because its nearly not as tall as the 120 so you wouldnt neccasarily have to have halides or things of the sort. and i currently have a 120 and its been good, but its hard to get things from the bottom of the tank. A 125 will also look a lot bigger then the 120. and your options for fish isnt as limited because the 120 is 4feet long and the 125 is 6feet.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I'm picking up a 125 from my bro-in-law and it looks huge. Looks way bigger than a 120. That's why I like the 125.
My $.02

·
It is the way it is!!!!
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I also like the depth front to back of the 120 but If you are not tall (such as me) I would need a stool to work with the tank, But the 125 I can get into with ease.

·
It is the way it is!!!!
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is two feet of length really gonna make a difference in the fish that I keep. The water volume is almost exact. And who says that fish would rather swim farther anyway.LOL;)

·
ONE VERY BIG FISHY
699 Posts
well for example tangs will hit burst of speed, so in a 125 they dont have to stop that much earlier whereas a 120 they wouldnt have as much freedom to be doing their burst of 'speed' . but this is controversial (spelling?) i have a foxface (pretty closely related to a tang) in my 120 :) and he seems pretty happy from what i can tell

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
I went through the same thing not too long ago and chose a 125. Looking back I wish I got a 180. You get the length and height of the 125, but the depth of the 120.

·
ONE VERY BIG FISHY
699 Posts
i would do halides on a 120 but thats just me :)

·
Registered
410 Posts
mg said:
I went through the same thing not too long ago and chose a 125. Looking back I wish I got a 180. You get the length and height of the 125, but the depth of the 120.
But what would you choose if the 120 and 125 were your only options?

·
It is the way it is!!!!
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
is_that_a_fish said:
i would do halides on a 120 but thats just me :)
I had halides on my 75 and loved them but they cooked all my shrooms(due to my poor placement and knowledge at the time) and with energy consevation in mind I have been doing a lot of studying on lighting and for what I want to keep I am thinking T-5 will be sufficient.

·
uber-stupid
4,781 Posts
I agree with the idea of the 180 or better yet 215.

But seriously, it depends on what fish you want. Personally, I would get the 120 because I am a reefer but some fish require the extra 2 feet.

·
ONE VERY BIG FISHY
699 Posts
im not sure t-5s would penetrate the depth of a 120 but then again im not a t-5 kinda person

·
It is the way it is!!!!
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
three90s&125sump said:
I agree with the idea of the 180 or better yet 215.

But seriously, it depends on what fish you want. Personally, I would get the 120 because I am a reefer but some fish require the extra 2 feet.
I am planning on building the reef then adding the fish that will go along with what I have, the fish are not going to be the deciding factor, and anyway if I ever put a tang in anything less than a 500 gallon tank I definately would not let anyone on here know about it!!!!;)

·
uber-stupid
4,781 Posts
I think VHOs would be an excellent idea for the 120. you could put 8 bulbs under there and they would do well for most things on the sand.

·
uber-stupid
4,781 Posts
reefjunkie30241 said:
I am planning on building the reef then adding the fish that will go along with what I have, the fish are not going to be the deciding factor, and anyway if I ever put a tang in anything less than a 500 gallon tank I definately would not let anyone on here know about it!!!!;)
It sounds like you have mad up your mind.

I wish my screen name was three120s&215sump

1 - 20 of 33 Posts