The Reef Tank banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I propose that the definition of Trustee be expanded so that the the Treasurer be allowed to automatically transition onto the Board of Directors for the following year just like the President, VP and Secretary.

I did not realize that Rick would not be going onto the 2004 BOD until our 8/12 BOD meeting. There I learned of this fact (i.e., that the Treasurer does not automatically go onto the BOD).

Whether Rick would like to continue on the BOD is his prerogative. Personally, I would really like to see him continue to be on next year's BOD.

I believe that the Office of Treasurer is one that is important enough from a transitional and historical perspective to automatically become a trustee for the following year.

In addition, I believe that any elected officer should automatically become a trustee the following year if they are inclined to continue serving the club. This was an oversite on my part last year when I proposed a change to the trustees since at the time we did not have an Office of Treasurer.

SO my proposal is to add the Office of Treasurer to the list of trustees that would automatically become a trustee and serve on the Board of Directors.

Charles & William: If there are any additional sections that need to be modified to allow this change, please add them to this proposal to ammend the Constitution.

The following exerpt is from the Constitution on the AtlantaReefClub.org website. The section in bold is the section I would like to modify.

Article VI: Officers and Elections

Section 1
Elected Officers of the Atlanta Reef Club shall consist of the following and shall be elected every one (1) year: President, Vice President, Secretary, and Treasurer. The offices of Secretary and Treasurer may be combined at the discretion of the Board of Directors.

Section 2
There shall be four (4) trustees. The outgoing President, Vice President, Treasurer and Secretary shall automatically become such trustees for the year following the end of their term provided that they are in office at the end of their existing term and are in good standing ..."

************** end of proposed changes **********

I do not recall the exact process to amend the Constitution, except that it must pass by a majority of the BOD before it can be submitted to the membership for a vote.

I'd like the BOD to vote on this proposal before this weekend. And if the BOD passed this amendment, I would like to have this voted during the Sept general meeting. Is this possible?

Thanks,

Bob

·
Registered
921 Posts
trustees

Actually Rick and I knew of this when we voted in the election last year. It did not seem correct to me at the time but I guess we were changing the amendments so dramatically it was difficult to discuss everything. Being logical, I guessed it had something to do with wanting an odd number to vote. I see now it was the oversight of never having a Treasurer.

I also think signing on for a two year stint may give a member pause before volunteering. However I see no reason for the present rule restricting the Treasure's term.

Could Bob publish the proposal on the member's forum before the meeting so the club can have time to ponder before the vote? Please?

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
William, once the BOD passes the amendment (see separate BOD2 poll), I'll be glad to advertise it in the ARC members section.

Bob

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Could Bob publish the proposal on the member's forum before the meeting so the club can have time to ponder before the vote?
Done. :p

Bob

·
Premium Member
7,889 Posts
Re: trustees

wildemon said:
Could Bob publish the proposal on the member's forum before the meeting so the club can have time to ponder before the vote? Please?
I'm not as well read on the by-laws as I should be but is this a general membership vote? What did we just vote on in BOD2?

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
A summary of how to change the Cons/By-laws

1) Somebody submits the proposal to the BOD (Bob did that)

2) The BOD votes on weather they even want this considered for the const/bylaws. (We did that)

3) If the BOD vote is to consider the admendment then the vote is taken up by the general membership.

4) If the membership passes the amendment then it becomes part of the const/bylaws.

In conclusion --- It takes a membership vote to change the Const/By-laws and the BOD can't do anything in direct conflict w/ the const/bylaws --- other than that the BOD gets to do whatever we want.

It's sort of a catch-22
The membership has to vote to changer the const/bylaws ---- but
The BOD gets to vote on weather we even will let the membership vote.

Sounds crazy but hey I didn't write the original const/bylaws

·
Registered
921 Posts
I am bringing up old business to point out that the webpage still has the old wording of the Constitution. I believe the revision of including the Treasurer in the next year BOD needs to be done.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts