The Reef Tank banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am actually loading these by dialup so this is going to take a while... :)

I have been promising pictures of various things, from my new tank stand (which is almost finished) to the "signs of Spanky" that we saw in Washington DC.

Here goes...

First up is a picture of my 75-gallon tank in our bedroom before we repainted. I am not interested in anyone's opinion about the Angelfish (Geoff calls him "Fishy") being too big for the tank. :D We have had him for years, and he seems to be very happy.

Attachments

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Then we had to repaint

Before we could build a stand we had to repaint the bedroom. First things first. Here is the tank at approximately the height we wanted it to be, in our newly painted bedroom.

Attachments

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Then we built the stand...

Here is the tank stand, front view, with two coats of primer (I think) and the hardware installed just to see how it all looked. The top knobs are fishies and the bottom ones are starfishies. The edges are all rounded and routed, which gives it a really cool look I think (Good Job, Geoff!).

Attachments

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The doors are my favorite part!

This is a picture of the stand with the side doors open. I designed the doors to open this way because I thought it would provide a way to easily see the side views of the lower tank if necessary. It also just seemed really neat.

Attachments

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Almost done!

The stand is now in our bedroom (that's Geoff standing beside it for reference). In this picture it is just primed. As of literally right now, it has one coat of gray paint on it, and is looking good...I will post pictures of the finished product later :)funny:).

I have decided to paint the stand a light gray, with modern-looking accent stenciling that will be the same color as the walls in the bedroom.

Attachments

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
And last but certainly not least...

While we were in DC, we went to the National Aquarium, which is pretty small considering it is the Nation Aquarium, but it has some pretty neat tanks inside. It is in the basement of the Commerce building. Anyway, Geoff and I rounded the corner, and both said "Spanky!" when we saw this. Not a big leap, but funny.
:funny:

Okay, maybe you had to be there.
:rolleyes:

Attachments

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
whooooaaaaa!!!!! geoff, dude!! awesome job.. oh yeah, you too nikki :D

i LOVE those doors, and the rounded doors above and below the lower tank.. VERY cool!!!!

other than the above comments, i am totally speachless!!!!!!

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
auto repeat !!!

spanky needs a button like that on TRT, for everytime someone says

"should i put a 6" dsb in my new reef tank" :funny: :funny:

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
What an awesome reef tank set-up you guys put together! How much would you charge me to build one?;)

·
Registered
852 Posts
Lookin' good, but.... I think someone should have told you that angels usually need water ....:funny:

·
Premium Member
34,435 Posts
the 75 will be set up as a FOWLR. the top is not tall enough to support mh lighting. there are also no fan holes located in the canopy. Nikki did not like the look of tall canopies over aquariums.

it actually looks like i may be building another one for a friend. i would like to finish this one first to make sure it works like it should.

thanks for all the compliments so far!

G~

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks!

Thanks so much for the compliments! I designed the stand and Geoff did all the hard labor. I do rent Geoff out for a minor fee...

:D

We will see how this next venture goes - building a stand just like this one for one of my friends. I believe she wants a freshwater system. And I don't see why you couldn't make the canopy taller (for the lighting and fans) if you wanted a reef tank.

I made jay speechless!! Do I win a prize??

:funny:

And CAT - Sorry, he's hydrophobic. I bet you also think angels need food or something. Sheesh. ;)

Have a good Tuesday everyone!

·
Super Moderator
27,677 Posts
Nikki!! That's a great looking set up! I love the design of the doors. Well worth the wait.

I've been to the National Aquarium, and thought it was small. Though when I was there, I did get to see them feed the piranhas. Kinda odd for a veggie to find that interesting.

Did I hear you say that you had seen the Baltimore aquarium? Were you there at MACNA a few years ago? That's when I saw it. Way cool :cool:

What a great TRT duo you guys are. And yes, you do get the Official TRT Dancing Bananas ® award for rendering Jay speechless.

:banana: :banana: :banana:

Luv ya, Jay ;)

I really love having a day off on Tuesday :p

1 - 15 of 15 Posts