The Reef Tank banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
3 days ago I purchased a small three prong "candy cane" coral and a small live rock with a few brown/green mushrooms. I have a 30 gallon eclipse with no skimmer only a carbon filter and bio wheel, I have a combo day light with actinic (10000 and 420 respectively) pushing at 65 watts.

My tank has been stable for some time everything is tesing good with my test strips and my salinity is dead on and my temp is 77-78.

The tank was aquired from a freind so I am new to the hobby but inherited a stable tank (~4 years old) containing 1 clown, 3 small damsels, some live rock and snails and a sandsifting starfish.....since then have added an anoneme and clown, an emerald crab, 2 ricordea, small patch of button polyps and the candy cane and shrooms over the course of about 4 weeks.

Sorry just trying to give proper background....the coral and mushrooms look weak and frail compared to what they looked like when I brought thnem home...to my untrained eye they look like they are about to die. Everything else looks fine.

Any ideas on what is wrong...any input is appreciated....and so is your patience with my novice vocabulary.

sincerely Xnorm

·
Premium Member
8,278 Posts
I see I missed some of the info LOL
gonna hafta give us a whole slew of information such as but not limited too:

tank size
where does your water come from
how often do you change your water and how much water
Skimmer?
lights?
powerheads or pumps for flow?
sand?
rock?
how long has tank been set up?
any fish or inverts?
water parameters such as
ammonia
nitrite
nitrate
ph
kh
temp
salinity

sorry so many questions but tanks are complicated

·
Premium Member
8,278 Posts
Hi all,
3 days ago I purchased a small three prong "candy cane" coral and a small live rock with a few brown/green mushrooms. I have a 30 gallon eclipse with no skimmer only a carbon filter and bio wheel, I have a combo day light with actinic (10000 and 420 respectively) pushing at 65 watts.

My tank has been stable for some time everything is tesing good with my test strips and my salinity is dead on and my temp is 77-78.

The tank was aquired from a freind so I am new to the hobby but inherited a stable tank (~4 years old) containing 1 clown, 3 small damsels, some live rock and snails and a sandsifting starfish.....since then have added an anoneme and clown, an emerald crab, 2 ricordea, small patch of button polyps and the candy cane and shrooms over the course of about 4 weeks.

Sorry just trying to give proper background....the coral and mushrooms look weak and frail compared to what they looked like when I brought thnem home...to my untrained eye they look like they are about to die. Everything else looks fine.

Any ideas on what is wrong...any input is appreciated....and so is your patience with my novice vocabulary.

sincerely Xnorm
I think that the first step is to get your water tested w/ something a bit more accurate than the strips, they really are quite inaccurate. How do the other corals look? I think you may be a little low on the light side for candy cane and very likely any anemone. You may also be pushing it on fish for that setup. Likely the problem is going to be nitrates or perhaps even ammonia if you experienced a mini cycle from the move.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok here goes...

tank size - 30 gal tall
where does your water come from - ocean reef pets...good local store
how often do you change your water and how much water - 4 gallon water change I have only had the tank about 5 weeks but and have only done one change.
Skimmer? none
lights? 10000 day 420 actinic combo
powerheads or pumps for flow? one 65 power head
sand? not too sure here as I got the tank already setup...but it looks to be the same as you've seen in most salt tanks
rock? normal live rock....has good coraline
how long has tank been set up? abour 4 years
any fish or inverts? they are posted in the previous thread
water parameters such as
ammonia - don't konw how to measure this I just use the 'quick dip' brand dip strips
nitrite - nill
nitrate -between 5-15
ph -testing between 8.4 -8.8
kh -not sure what this is...
temp -77-78
salinity - 1.024

·
Premium Member
8,278 Posts
well, going off of the test strips which have been stated to be of questionable accuracy, 5-15 nitrate is fine for fish only but higher than you really want if you keep corals. W/ no skimmer, I would advise changing 10% of you water every week. The once a month 25% can work on some tanks but not all tanks. Try a big w/c (like 30% or so)to get nitrates down then 10% a week from there on out and see if things look a bit better. But the light you have is a bit on the low side for some of your organisms, namely the nem. What kind of anemone is it?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It is a bubble tip and my clowns seem have taken to him nicely:)

I will implement your suggestions and let you know how it turns out.

Few more questions if you don't mind:
-can anyone suggest a place to get used or discounted tools for more accurate measuring? from my research these are fairly pricy.
-how can i measure ammonia?
-what is kh?

·
Premium Member
8,278 Posts
KH is carbonate hardness, its a complex issue but it more or less helps stabalize ph. For starters and what you are keeping an API reef master test kit costs about 25 bucks and tests Kh, nitrate, calcium and phosphate.

as for testing ammonia it is a nice kit to have but in theory you should only see ammonia when setting up a new tank.

basically fish and other organisms poo ammonia, which is quite toxic. a certain bacteria eats ammonia and poos nitrite, then another bacterai eats nitrite and poos nitrate. Nitrate is still toxic but organisms can tolerate much more nitrate in a system than the previous forms of nitrogen. But with an established tank you should not see ammonia uless something dies and it takes soem time for the bacteria to catch up with this explosion in their food supply. I'm not going to tell you not to get an ammonia test (i don't have one) but I would worry about a nitrate test first. Most fish stores can test water for you with a liquid test kit but ask them what kind of tests they use.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
understood thanks...really appreciated the test kit tip too!

To increase the lighting can your recommend a new one keeping in mind budget is an issue for me? The tank is 30x19x12.5. I would like to keep soem beginner level corals and any thing else that has low bio waste.

Thanks again

·
Premium Member
8,278 Posts
well norm I believe the preferred light in that tank for keeping a nem is a 150w MH, which are not cheap. It could likely be done with T5s w/ individual reflectors. Not sure if you can get T5 retros in that size. the important part of a T5 is the individual reflectors. PCs may be able to support an anemone, I can't think of anyone who does though

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks I will do some research..maybe I can find a deal somewhere.

Assuming I do, is there any kind of tank shock involved with switching lights or can I just stick the new one on and be done?

Also, do you think the organisms will live if I can get things right with the water change and the using the accurate testing kit with in a few days?

·
Premium Member
8,278 Posts
there is a good chance they will recover. they may just still be in shock adjusting to a new tank and there may not be anything wrong w/ them at all, its just better to play it safe :). Mushrooms are pretty darn tough so they will very likely pull through. If you change light it is better to take steps to let the critters adjust to the light. In a standard tank when more powerful lights are add you can raise the fixture up and just lower it more and more each week. That may not be possible in your setup. You can put lights on a short photoperiod and gradually increase it time wise to acclimate corals to higher light.:dance:

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks to Jenglish and the anyone else who contributed

I followed all of your advice and all of my guys are looking stellar!! So much so that i am going to go ahead an upgrade my entire tank instead of just the lights.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts