The Reef Tank banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I have had my AC3 controler for a few years along with the direct connect 8. one my other tank it worked fine no problems with the timing of the devices going on or off.

now I have only three things running off this Direct connect 8 as follows; plug 1 refugium timer from 0000 - 0730 am
plug 8 MH lights from 1700-2230 hours.
plug 5 Chiller temp more than 78 on less that 76 off.

the chiller works most of the time the tank does not get hotter or cooler than the set marks.

the MH lights wil turn on run for a whle then turn off about five minutes later they turn back on. when the lights cycle the refugium lights will alsdo turn on and off for a minute.

when the chiller turns on the refugium light will turn on and then off for a second.

lastly- the ac3 was connected to my home network, which consist of a lynksys cat 5 and wireless router/hub/cable modem. the network had an xbox 360 the ac3 controler a desktop and a laptop. I have checked the ip address in the software and I am good there.

The device ran great for about two weeks then took a dump and I kept getting message ac3 controler not responding.

the firewall is shut of to the router and the DNS is off on the controller but i have tried it with it on too and same result.

the firmware is up to date as well and the whole device has been wiped clean memory wise twice.

I am at a loss and ready to chuck the whole thing. if it was not 5 bills for the new one.

·
Registered
8,350 Posts
I fought with my AC3 and DC8 for a short while before figuring out the communications cable between the AC3 and DC8 was bad. I replaced it with a higher quality phone cable and the problem stopped.

Both halides on one plug may be a bit much when powering on. I use separate plugs and power my lights on/off sequentially in 60 min intervals. The effect is really cool. With 3 halides, it looks like the sun is rising and setting across the tank. It also allows for longer tank viewing time while running each light for a shorter period.

Have you tried powering down all of the other devices on the network? Maybe something else has picked up the AC3 IP address.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ya all other devices have been eliminated and still problems the strange thing is it worked and then stopped with no changes to the network unless comcast did something without me knowing.

I'll change the phone cord but it looks good. as for the MH they are wired into the same ballast its a coralvue 250 w dual.

I like the sun rise thing alot I may have to look into that if I change things drasticly.

·
Registered
8,350 Posts
Do you have a long enough crossover cable to connect the AC3 directly to your PC? This may help narrow down the problem.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
no i would have to make one. not a big deal but I am more concerned about the dam lights turning on and off. I am about ready to put them on a old fashion timer.

doing a little experiment I diconnected the phone line and lets see if the lights go out they have been going out about every twenty min.

·
Registered
8,350 Posts
The quick cycling of the refuge lights when the MH's kick on reminds me of something I read on RC. I think it was a noise issue but don't recall the specifics. Have you tried different outlets? Outlets 5 and 8 are mechanical relays on newer DC8's. The other outlets are electronically switched usings triacs. Maybe try swapping the refuge light to either outlet 5 or 8 if you have the relay DC8.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the problem there is the chiller and the MH are the big draws and I had problems earlier with the DC8 not providing enough power to the ballast and only lighting one MH. You helped me with that telling me that 5 &8 are the mechanical relays, I don't mind the ruge light going on and off but the other stuff concerns me because it need to be right when i add a calcium reactor & Kalk reactor if I need them (which i will)

·
Registered
8,350 Posts
Might be time for a new DC8. How many years have you had it? I use a DC4HD to power my 3 halides. I keep my tank at 80 so I don't have a chiller to factor in. Maybe your DC8 just isn't up to the task anymore.

Have you been to the Neptune forum on RC yet? There are some very helpful posts over there including some good safety code to prevent potential failures.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have had the dc 8 for 3 or 4 years now however it has been packed away for the last two.

i'll check out RC,

On another note it may be the cord, I disconnected it and the lights have stayed on so I may be picking up a stray current in the cord or something strange like that.

the lights have been on since i disconected it and it is working good now. go figure.

Thanks for the help.

Fred.

·
Registered
8,350 Posts
Make sure your phone line cord has 4 conductors connected and not only 2 like most of the cheap phone lines. I picked up one of those heavy duty phone cords with the ferrite core that snaps over the wire. Also, take a q-tip with some alcohol and clean the jacks on both the AC3 and the DC8. A little bit of corrosion can mess up the signal.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ya I was in that business prior to what I do now and remember all about the connectors and how sensative they are.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts