The Reef Tank banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!

I've got a little problem here.

I recently purchased a 10 gal tank in order to use as a mixing bin for water changes. Previously, I was using plastic water containers. I've learned that I should be waiting longer before I place the new water in the tank. Normally, I would just wait a few hours then dump it in.

Now, I mixed the water up around 24 hours ago and treated it with Prime. Today when I got home from work the new water was pretty cloudy. When I used the water jugs, this never happened. Granted, I never allowed it to sit this long.

I have a small power head in the tank to keep the water circulating. When I used the jugs, I would just shake them up really well, about every hour.

The water tests fine with a strip test (I know they suck).

I am worried about dumping this water into my tank...

This won't really matter much in relation to my question, but just in case. Here are the specs:

The tank has been running really well for around 3 years. It is a simple, approx. 24 gal, hex FOWLR tank with 1 1/2" aragonite sand bed. Around 20 lbs. live rock. HOB filter. Fluorescent lamp. Livestock includes hermits (two mexican, one blue leg), snails (three astrea, two turbo), and two percula clown fish.

I'm using treated tap water for top-ups. Usually I buy a 5 gal ocean water for my water changes. The water I have mixed up is also tap water. I am in the market for a RO/DI filter. I know this is the best solution.

Should I just dump this out, waste the salt, and try again? Or just stick with the ocean water until I can find a RO/DI filter within the next few weeks?

I appreciate any advice.

I'm sure I will be needing loads more. I have almost all of the equipment necessary for my move to a larger tank within a couple of months. I am taking it really slow so I can plan this tank out well.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the welcome, and the advice.

Didn't know I could use distiller water. Is that the same thing as distilled water? Previously, I was advised not to use it. Never checked into it myself.

I'm in Austin.

Nice koi pond you have there. It must be really relaxing to come home to that. You mentioned your koi swimming into your hand and eating, my clowns do the same thing. They will swim right into my cupped hand and chill there for food. Cool feeling.

While I have your attention, I would appreciate your opinion on another matter.

At work, we received a really nice brittle star. I would like to give it a home as it has been there for a little while. I'm curious to know if it would be safe for my other inhabitants to add the little guy. Will he bother the snails or hermits? Will the clowns be safe while resting? They like to make themselves little holes in the sand at the corners of the tank to rest at night.

Considering they were there first I would hate to disrupt them.

Thanks, again.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Thanks for the welcome, and the advice.

Didn't know I could use distiller water. Is that the same thing as distilled water? Previously, I was advised not to use it. Never checked into it myself.

I'm in Austin.

Nice koi pond you have there. It must be really relaxing to come home to that. You mentioned your koi swimming into your hand and eating, my clowns do the same thing. They will swim right into my cupped hand and chill there for food. Cool feeling.

While I have your attention, I would appreciate your opinion on another matter.

At work, we received a really nice brittle star. I would like to give it a home as it has been there for a little while. I'm curious to know if it would be safe for my other inhabitants to add the little guy. Will he bother the snails or hermits? Will the clowns be safe while resting? They like to make themselves little holes in the sand at the corners of the tank to rest at night.

Considering they were there first I would hate to disrupt them.

Thanks, again.
Yeah the koi pond is great! Thank you.

The brittle star won't harm anything. I have had many hitchhike into my tanks and honestly the only time I see them is if I move a rock that its under.

·
I've got the REEF rash!
61,659 Posts
Distilled is like RO/DI,they both have 0 TDS.You can buy them at walmart for something like $.60 a gallon .

·
Student of the Reef
1,003 Posts
If you are in doubt about the water I would throw it out and mix up some fresh water. It is probably fine to use, but is it worth the risk?

·
Premium Member
5,051 Posts
When in doubt, throw it out. Water and salt are cheap compared to what's living in your tank. Definitely avoid tap water if you can - it has all kinds of chemicals and heavy metals and sediment that you don't want. Distilled water is a good alternative, but in the long run, having your own ro/di unit is the least expensive and most convenient way to go.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Steam distilling is the purest form of water you can get. RO water is limited by the quality and age of the membrane that is purifying the water. If you can get distilled water, use it until you get can get an RO/DI unit. Having your own RO/DI unit will save you money and effort, in the long run, by not having to run to the LFS to get your water.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good to know I have a cheap alternative for water, rather than traveling to LFS.

Is Instant Ocean salt a good brand? It really hasn't failed me so far. However, with my new build coming up, I was curious if it would be acceptable to use as I begin to expand my horizons into mushrooms and other lower light corals.

The brittle seems to be doing fine, thus far. The clowns were really curious about it and were not too shy about really checking it out. The brittle was larger than I originally thought. But, I only really saw it tucked into a hole the entire time we had it. It's body is about the size of a quarter, with approx. 4-5" arms.

Ideally, what should I feed it? My clowns are fed Formula One pellets and frozen Emerald Entree (brine shrimp/spirulina). Can it eat this too? I imagine I could just use a dropper to shoot some brine shimp around its mouth. Should I ever have to feed it anything larger?

·
Just send me a PM ;)
16,796 Posts
I get rid of the Formula One pellets.. large source of Phosphates. I'd use Cyclopeze or Rod's food instead...The Rod's has everything your tank should need in it, and no you don't need to feed the Starfish...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts