The Reef Tank banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
RIP Steve Irwin
5,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So for the past year or so I have had major issues with acro deaths and today I found out why. I noticed that two of my acro crabs were the bad type and tehy have been chewing em up this whole time. I am glad to have noticed this, but unless your acro crabs are the super smooth looking ones I would get rid of them. These two kinda had fuzzy legs and blue eyes and they were identified as the possible problem. Fed em to the mantis :) The only reason I post this is to prevent the problem with others. I am definately not saying pull all of your corals and kill all the crabs that are not smooth, but definately look into it if problems occur continuously.

·
Premium Member
4,947 Posts
I have a black hairy one... but no problems so far. I will keep an eye out though... thanks for the tip Steve.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I can definitely relate to this. I have an emerald crab that is well behaved, it doesn't attack any of my corals, but it has decided that it likes to sleep on a monti digi I have. As far as I can tell, it isn't picking at the coral, it just sits there. The area where it wraps its legs around has died, but the rest of the colony is fine.

·
Registered
815 Posts
PICS! PICS! I need pics, this may be what is killing my Milli. The RTN'n happened after he moved over to the coral. The crab was doing fine on another acro, so I never thought it was an issue. Mine does have fuzzy legs!

·
Premium Member
4,947 Posts
ok cool, that is not like the fuzzy one I have... mine is totally pitch black. I am gonna keep an eye on him anyway though.

Kevin, I am glad you too found the culprit.

·
RIP Steve Irwin
5,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
All the dead spots have regrown in. Yay!!!! If you have anything but a smooth one I would pull it before the coral growns in and you can not do anything about it. I am so relieved as I was wondering what the heck was going on.

·
Premium Member
4,947 Posts
Actually I caught him f-ing with the frag of the colony that I had to chop yesterday so I yanked him and smushed him cause I was pissed!

·
RIP Steve Irwin
5,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nice! It almost feels good when they are messing with something nice!~

·
Whuch' you need?
3,810 Posts
SO I have a question...? I have an emerald crab that has hary legs. What's up with that?

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Generally emeralds are fine. There are a few different varieties that are commonly called emeralds. Is he green? Keep an eye on him regardless....

·
RIP Steve Irwin
5,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah Derek these are just the small little guys that often come in WC colonies. I have several emeralds with no problems. I would not worry to much about those. These were living on the acro all day and pulling off the tissue and eating it in little spots here and there.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts