The Reef Tank banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought some plants for my refugium last week and started to notice little fern like plants growing all in the main tank. I see them on the rocks, glass, just about everywhere. Like I stated they look like a fern and they are green in color. Should I be worried? I would hate for the plant to take over my tank.
Thanks...

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Scuba Dan said:
It looks like I have 3 diffrent types of plants in my refugium. Here are the pics.
dude that second pic it cualerpa its ok it will keeps your nitrates low but if it start turning white get those suckers out they are going sexual and if that happens you tank will crash. what happens it releases all its nutrients and it will make every think spike

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
combiemaster said:
dude that second pic it cualerpa its ok it will keeps your nitrates low but if it start turning white get those suckers out they are going sexual and if that happens you tank will crash. what happens it releases all its nutrients and it will make every think spike
Hmmmm, Maybe I should pull the cualerpa out to avoid them going sexual. What causes them to turn white? Do they die after turning white? Sounds like it may be a liitle 2 risky for a newbie to have them in there tank. What do you think??

·
Fish Killin' Reef Keeper
358 Posts
Yep, looks like hair algae.....This tank looks pretty new, which is very common to have lots of nuisance algae and bacteria blooms.

Make sure your skimmer is working well, and keep up on the water changes. Running some carbon and phosphate removers can help also w/ the Dissolved organic proteins.

There really is no quick fix, you need to figure out how to export more nutrients than you are importing.

There are fish like a lawnmower blenny that will eat it, but you will need to examine your husbandry before adding anything to try to fix it otherwise.

·
Fish Killin' Reef Keeper
358 Posts
Husbandry includes many things from type of livestock you keep, types of filtration, the maintainance you perform, import/export of nutrients etc.....

It really encompasses "everything" and how it relates to each other. Poor husbandry practices can lead to things like excessive algae, parasites, stress even death to your livestock and tank.

As for the hair algae, I wouldn't stress too much about it right now......Hand prune what you can get too, even take out and scrub the rock in Saltwater if possible....

What I would focus on for now is Nutrient Import/ Export. How much of what do you feed? Is it alway completely eaten or does it wind up hidden in the rocks?? What do you do to get excess nutrients out? Frequent water changes or just rely on the skimmer? Do you have enough Biological filtration or is mechanical and chemical needed at this point?

Those are all rhetorical questions to make you really think about what is going on in and with your tank.

Basically, Algae is quite common in this hobby (especially newer tanks) and we can control it through our practices. It may grow quickly sometimes, but to get rid of it will take MUCH longer. It needs a source of food (nitrates and phosphates) which almost always comes from the keeper himself.

I'm not familiar with your tank, but how about some specs? Size, type of filtration, lighting, skimmer, flow, feeding habits and water parameters to start with!

I'll stop here for now, hopefully this is a start for your personal "think tank" about your system.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts