The Reef Tank banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Tarpon
3,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, as many of you know I have had some ups and downs this year with my tank. I have been mowing back caulerpa and bryopsis for months. I finally got a handle on it, Emerald crabs eat BOTH. Just an fyi. Just when I was getting discouraged and been kinda low on money (so its been hard to invest into my tank) I went to get my water from coral logic today and came home to do my water change. My Anemone is about twice its normal size and puffed up with a huge stalk underneath him. Wasnt really sure whats up with that.....but I let the water warm up to tank temps and relaxed and watched the tank. I started to do my waterchange, cleaned out all the deitritus and started to refill my tank. Out of no where....my rock flower anemone (E. Crucifier) starts spitting out sperm into the water! I finished my waterchange so I could snap a picture of it maybe, and I got a few shots. But Im wondering if anyone has any advice on this? Im HOPING that a few babys will shoot out of the rocks within a few weeks/months to come. Im thinking my timins was impeccable, because I did a 50% waterchange literally 10-15 seconds before he started spewing. Any advice is advice I didnt have before I posted this. I will post pictures as soon as I figure out how to get them off my blackberry. (bought it today)

·
The camaro loving reefer
3,809 Posts
that would be so cool.
i dont know much about it tho. sry

·
NFMAS
3,516 Posts
I dont know much about anemones but I would think it would need eggs to mix with the sperm to result in offspring unless it was expelling both egg and sperm.

Dmora that is a sweet 3rd generation in your avatar.

·
The camaro loving reefer
3,809 Posts
I dont know much about anemones but I would think it would need eggs to mix with the sperm to result in offspring unless it was expelling both egg and sperm.

Dmora that is a sweet 3rd generation in your avatar.
i think they are a-sexual.
and thank you, thats my baby. 91 rs, 383 stroker, built 300 turbo, straight piped. so loud you can here me almost a mile away.

·
NFMAS
3,516 Posts
a sexual can produce egg and sperm or split into clones.

Dont mean to hijack the thread but do you have any other photos? I want a late 80's IROC

·
Tarpon
3,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well it was producing a stringy white substance that would get about 3 inches and break. And it was shooting clouds of white as well, so i presume it was producing both. In which case I would be very happy. My question is......how long should I wait to do a water change.......two weeks or so? Long enough to let the little guys settle?

·
The camaro loving reefer
3,809 Posts
a sexual can produce egg and sperm or split into clones.

Dont mean to hijack the thread but do you have any other photos? I want a late 80's IROC
sry for stealing the thread. last post, about cars.
theres been a lot of work sense then. the interior is black and red. the out side is got more black parts, a 383 went in. dont have any nice, newer pics.
car is now in primer. ready to be painted in the next few weeks. that was the original paint.

Attachments

·
The camaro loving reefer
3,809 Posts
Well it was producing a stringy white substance that would get about 3 inches and break. And it was shooting clouds of white as well, so i presume it was producing both. In which case I would be very happy. My question is......how long should I wait to do a water change.......two weeks or so? Long enough to let the little guys settle?
sounds like it is bleaching out?
i hope it produces more. but sounds like it shot out its zoothanthellae (spelling)

·
Tarpon
3,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Its very healthy looking, and now its back to its normal self. I feed it every two to three days, and its a bright red with a teal hue and bright green mouth. I actually feed it live shrimp.....I buy them at reef fanatics, 10 for 2 bucks.....put the shrimp in my refuge until im ready for them to be fed to the anemones, fish them out and them feed them to the nems. They LOVE them. (so do my clowns) Im about 98% it was a spawning event, I just hope some of the little guys mix and settle for me. Thats why im trying to figure out how long I should wait until I water change again. I dont want to disturb any mixture that this anemone put out, and I dont want my tank to crash either.

·
Tarpon
3,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Heres a picture. Its not the best, its with my phone. But if you look at the mouth and then follow the white string, thats the stringy part of the spawning and the rest of it was too small to capture. It was little clouds of white and it dissapated too quickly.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
706 Posts
my milli just spawn 1 week ago it released eggs into the tank but no other milli in the tank so no babys for me

·
Tarpon
3,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thats pretty sweet. I have had snails spawn, but never corals. If my corals spawned......i would be histatic! The best part is I dont use a protein skimmer or anything else in the way of manual removal, so it should have plently of time to settle down and grow. My problem is, im not sure if it will just grow....or I need to be supplementing the water. I guess if it spawned, the conditions are right for the babies to survive. I think its about the time of year spawning should be occuring. So its pretty cool your milli did the same!

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
when I had my rose BTA it spawned 3-4 times but nothing ever came of it. I didn't do anything special to the tank when it happened

1 - 13 of 13 Posts