The Reef Tank banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi i have 4 tiger barbs one female and three males i have set up a breeding tank and it is cycling but my female isn't as fat as i think she could be. what can i do to prepare her for spawning? i read the male and female need to be seperated to prepare for spawning, how long? Any info would help thanks!!

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,755 Posts
It has been a long time since reading anything on this so make sure my info is right before using it. I may even be thinking about the wrong species of fish :rolleyes:

The first thing is preparing the tank, you want a tank that is split half way up with a fine mesh screen (window screening), the purpose of this is so the eggs can drop through and the parents can't eat them. Above the screen add some cover for the fish, fake or live floating plants are good.

Set the tank up with the female in there for a while (don't remember exact time but I think it was about a week) then drop the male in and leave the lights off for about 12-14 hours, when you turn them on watch the fish closely, if she is laying eggs then wait about 10 min and shut the lights back off, and leave them off until you get hatched fish. The eggs are photo sensitive and can be killed by light. At this point you can remove the parents for breeding in another tank.

HTH, but make sure you double check the info,
Whiskey

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
that sounds right. but any idea on how large the female is suppose to be before she can breed? or at least be carring eggs? they are all about an inch and a quarter long and the female is a bit wider in the torso area. the reason im asking is because the pictures i have seen all show a female that was very large, and mine just isnt. thanks for your input!!!

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,755 Posts
I can't measure mine, they are too fast :rolleyes:

I have had a few accidental tiger babies in my 180, they must have fallen in the dense stands of plants where the fish can't reach, like the java fern. My babies are always quickly eaten though when they hatch.

My fish don't look all that fat, and I would say that the biggest ones are maybe 1 1/4 to 1 3/4 long.

HTH,
Whiskey

1 - 6 of 6 Posts