The Reef Tank banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have finally decided to begin the process of changing my tanks around. I expect it to take a month or 2. Here is the skinny.

start by cleaning up my 75g (currently fallow) seahorse tank by removing the sand and scrubbin the walls. then i will drill another overflow to increase the flow to the tank. then... time to move all the livestock from my old tank to the smaller one (and somehow get it all to fit :bawling: ).

once the 90gal is empty i will drain it, toss the sand, and begin the transformation...
1. plug the current 1" drain in the overflow and replace with a 2" in the bottom. then add a modified durso.
2. drill for a single drain dual return CLS with eductors (i'll need to come up with a PCX 70 pump for this bad boy). I plan to mount the pump right behind the tank.
3. Build a stand and hood to replace the metal rack that i am using. (i will be making the stand larger to allow for a bigger tank in the future).
4. Modify the sump to allow better, quieter operation by cutting off a sealed portion on the top and building a holder for my filter sock, installing some styrofoam under the sump, reorganising the order of equipment in the sump.
5. Build an electric panel inside the stand to oraginize the million power cords i currently have.

after this i will re-fill the 90 and cycle it. then i will have to decide how to set up the BB for all my SPS.

Ok, so what am i missing?:confused:

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,717 Posts
Wow, what a list. The "how to go BB" thread in the BB forum can be of immense help with the re-setup.

Why plug your current drain then make a new one for 2 inch? Why not just drill the current hole out to 2 inches?

Make sure the bottom pane of your 90 is not tempered, most companies drill the holes in the bottom of larger tanks like that, then temper it, I would hate for you to break the tank.

You also forgot the "starboard", do you plan to have just the glass bottom? If so I would paint the bottom of the tank (outside of the glass) so you don't see the top of the stand through the tank bottom.

If you are going BB I would recommend against using a filter sock, the idea is to have your skimmer remove the particulates, that is the only way they are out of the water completely.

You didn't mention your skimmer, this and the flow are the 2 most important bits. What do you plan to do with your skimmer, what do you plan to use, on what pump?

HTH,
Whiskey

·
Registered
111 Posts
You forgot all the times you will beat your head against the wall cause something won't fit or do what it's supposed to:lol:
Seriously, sounds awesome.:drool: Take lots of pics. Good idea to go bigger on the stand. How have your tanks been doing in the heat?
peace.
Bobby

·
Premium Member
10,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No heat issues with my room AC on. My tank is acrylic so the drilling will be easy. the current drain is out the back and i want it out the bottom to save room behind the tank. i can re-drill the current hole because the flange on the 2" bulkhead is so big that it won't work with the current hole being so close to the bottom of the tank. I may just keep the other drain on a ball valve and use it if i need extra flow. I plan on doing a peremiter PVC spraybar on the bottom to keep the bottom clean... do you think i need starboard still?

·
Premium Member
10,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looks like i am going to have to sell a few of my corals since i am short on cash this month... that will make fitting them much easier. I'll be posting in the classifieds later today.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts