The Reef Tank banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Active Anemone
1,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 60 gallon reef tank with 100 lb of rock. I have only added a couple piece of coral but would like to get some new powerheads.

What do you suggest with this size tank and something preferably quite.

Currently using a Maxi-Jet 1200 and it seems a little strong so maybe get 2 of something that is a less powerful??

·
Premium Member
11,065 Posts
I like to have a flow of about 35x in my tank. For you that would be 2100 gph. And that's low - I only have softies and a few LPS. If that works for what you're stocking then I'd recommend two of the Koralia 1050's. I've heard good things about Jebao, as KS suggested as well.

·
Active Anemone
1,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
those Koralias are probably more my price range. Thanks both of you.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi everyone. So we just set up our 55. We have nothing in there but 2 clowns. We are using a maxi-jet 1200 powerhead and a zoo med wave maker(dk off top my head the (gph) not home @ the moment. But it seems my 1200 is way to powerful for the tank. It forms little tornados in the sand and threw my sand across the front and around the LR ( causing sand dunes) and the clowns seem to fight the current. Should we decrease the ph to a 900 or just place it somewheres else within the tank?

Thank you

·
Premium Member
11,065 Posts
Hi everyone. So we just set up our 55. We have nothing in there but 2 clowns. We are using a maxi-jet 1200 powerhead and a zoo med wave maker(dk off top my head the (gph) not home @ the moment. But it seems my 1200 is way to powerful for the tank. It forms little tornados in the sand and threw my sand across the front and around the LR ( causing sand dunes) and the clowns seem to fight the current. Should we decrease the ph to a 900 or just place it somewheres else within the tank?

Thank you
I have two 1050's in my 55. I'd try repositioning it. The less flow the more likely your are to get dead spots where waste will gather then you'll have algae issues. My flow was too low and I was battling cyanobacteria for a while - really helped when I upped the gph. Maybe try placing it so it blows longways down the tank and angle it toward the top, that would help with your sand dunes.

·
Active Anemone
1,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had the same issue cause i have the Maxi-Jet 1200 as well. I found if i put it 5-8 gallon down into the tank so near the surface of the water i had the best results and no more sand hurricanes lol.

I saw the same issue and this is why im replacing 1 of them. (currently have 2) I am going to keep one because i keep it high and creates a unique current towards the top. ( I did put mine on a remote shut off so i can shut it off when doing water changes)

I am going to add the Koralia 1050 to be in my rocks towards the sand of the tank and keep 1 of my maxi jets up high on opposite sides of the tank.

·
Active Anemone
1,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I got the Koalia 1150 at my LPS on sale this week. I have the Marine Land 1200 up near surface and the Koraia 1150 right above sand on opposite side of tank blowing on my rocks.

Seems like a way better fit for the fish!

My foxface actually sleeps right under the new powerhead.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts