The Reef Tank banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
ICH is work of the DEVIL
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just added some new powerheads to my 75gal setup.

> two AquaClear 802 (400GPH)
> one MaxiJet 1200 (295GPH)

SHOULD ALL THREE POWERHEADS BE ON 24HRS A DAY?

IF YOUR OPINION IS "NO"..... SHOULD I PUT THEM ON A TIMER TO COME "ON" DURING THE DAY OR AT NIGHT??

fyi....other things on a cycle/timer in my tank:
> PC actinic lights 1pm-11pm
> PC 10K lights 2pm-8pm
> coralife super skimmer 6am-6pm
> penguin biowheel 350 on 24/7

·
ICH is work of the DEVIL
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
each of the three powerheads have Rotating Water Deflectors on them:

....so I will leave them on 24/7

I was just concerned that my fish (clown, tangs) may get stressed-out if constant current was hendering their sleep at night.....but I suppose they will find a "spot" in the tank among the LR where they rest in low-flow

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
leave the on all the time. That deflector reduces flow so your 400gph is not really that after coming out of the deflector, is not a bad thing but they should be on all the time.

·
ICH is work of the DEVIL
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Little Luey said:
leave the on all the time. That deflector reduces flow so your 400gph is not really that after coming out of the deflector, is not a bad thing but they should be on all the time.
yes...i immediately noticed that i was getting water pressure coming out the airhole tube attachment thingy.

the deflector is rate up to 310gph and the PH are 400gph...so i was expecting extra water pressure to go somewhere other than ou the front of the deflector.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
you should block that air hole so more water comes out of the dleflector.

·
ICH is work of the DEVIL
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Little Luey said:
you should block that air hole so more water comes out of the dleflector.
well... i thought of that... but the water shoots straight up and breaks the surface of the water like a fountainhead.... i always heard that the more that you break the surface of the water the better it is for the SW

1 - 10 of 10 Posts