The Reef Tank banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
11,345 Posts
tashier said:
Just wanted to get some recommendations on powerheads. I'm running a 120g. I already have a couple of those crappy powersweeps.
cant go wrong with maxijets although a CLS is ideal if you are building a new system

·
Sponge-tastic!!
284 Posts
I have 2-MJ1200's in my 75g, but I'm considering replacing them with Seio 620's. They apparently have a much wider water stream than the MJ.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I have two Seio 820s and like them alot.. I have one in the "tunez style config" (remove the directional flow port) and the other with the flow director still intact. I have to say that the flow width and power with the pump in the "tunez" style config is really good.. almost too powerful for my tank.. which is why I only did one that way.. the 620s should be about the right fit for a 75. :)

PS: the only thing with those is, don't plan on using them with a wave timer.. they make a bit of noise when starting up, and sometimes get hung on start.. mine have been pretty good about not doing that... but they were loud enough on start to discourage me from using them on my wavemaster pro... doh! Seio is about to come out with a timer specifically for their pumps..

·
Registered
105 Posts
You can always do an over the top closed loop. But those Seio powerheads are great. I'm running a 2600 in my current 116 gal. display, it puts out a lot of flow. I have it on one side of the tank in the corner, it really moves some water.

·
Why I get nothing done...
2,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
nu2reef-n said:
You can always do an over the top closed loop. But those Seio powerheads are great. I'm running a 2600 in my current 116 gal. display, it puts out a lot of flow. I have it on one side of the tank in the corner, it really moves some water.
That's a pretty big power head. How do you have it positioned?

·
uber-stupid
4,781 Posts
I have never had either a seio or a tunze but regular power heads are just too bulky for what you get out of them. I am a fan of the CLS. From what I have read the sieos are lower quality than the tunzes but I don't know that. My LFS has had a seio 820 running in one of his tanks for about a year or longer with out any problems.

From what I have heard... massive flow with little power consumption AND a controller would be the tunze. Massive flow with little power consumption NO controller less expencive would be the seios. Least obtrusive in the tank would be the CLS. Cheapest route would be a couple MJ1200s

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
For a 120gal you could use a couple of Seios 820s, MJ is too small for that size tank, unles you get like 4-5.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I have a seio 2600 in my 180 and it does a pretty good job of moving the water but I think I'm going to add a couple of the 820's or even the 1500's to realy liven up the flow.

·
Little fish in a big pond
5,916 Posts
I like Maxijets.

I've heard about Seio but I can't get past the fact that they are made by the same folks as the notorious Rio... I've seen too many horrible results of Rios... I just can't bring myself to 'go there'.

Jenn

1 - 15 of 15 Posts