The Reef Tank banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

What strength powerheads should I put in my 55? How many? I might have asked this question before.......but I had no clue what a PH was. LOL!! I wasn't down with the "lingo" back then. HE HE HE. Any brand that people are in love with? I am not really into powerheads to much even though I know you need them. I think they make the tank look dumpy. Any suggestions?

Steve

·
Registered
706 Posts
Maxi-Jet and Hagan are good choices....I like the 1200's they move close to 300 per hour.....don't know for your exact usage.. some corals prefer more or less current.....my SPS tank will have heavy flow.

Dave

·
Banggai Mommy
2,395 Posts
I agree: Maxijets (my personal faves) or Hagens, as they're both excellent pumps.

...Unless you have the money for seaswirls...

·
Registered
658 Posts
I have 6 MaxiJet 1200's in my 55 gallon tall tank, though they're hooked up to a wavemaker and only 3 are on at a time.
I have them set up so that they point toward the opposite ends of the tank, and I get a nice healthy surge effect back and forth. I still have some calm(er) spots where I have some of the lower current organisms, like a mushroom and some xenia.
I'd say a good rule of thumb is you want enough flow to circulate your tank around 10x an hour, so using that method you'll need the equivalent of 550 gallons of water movement per hour.
2 MaxiJet 1200's would probably suffice if they're both kept on constantly, but I find the wavemaker to be a nice addition... and the corals seem to like it better too.

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
maxijets are up there. i have always prefered hagen 402's. they move 270 gph. i have two in my current 55. they also makea nice filter attachement for htem, that can have the internal sponge removed, and you can cut them down a bit shorter. they prevent fish or critters from getting sucked into the powerhead.

and they arent TOO big.

·
Registered
986 Posts
I got a couple of Maxijets for my tank (highly recommended here at TRT). All I had used in the past was Hagen though (they are undestructible).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.