The Reef Tank banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

Just swapped all my 55 g equipment and livestock into my 100 g. Everything went well except one thing. On my old tank I had the overflow drain into a sump which pumped through a skimmer then back up to the main tank. On the new system I also added a baffled 10 g refugium.

Here's the problem. The power heads used to be balanced so that the one returning the water to the main tank was the same pace as the one pushing through the skimmer. But now with the refugium it slows down the water so the second (return) powerhead is ahead of the job and sucking air before the one pushing through the skimmer can catch up. So what do I do?

Do I just buy the next size up on a powerhead to push through the skimmer faster? How will I know the gph that I need? Or is there a little room for error? Also, these are Rio 2100s and have no adjustments, or is there a way to adjust them?

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Little fish in a big pond
5,916 Posts
JMO but I'd replace Rios with anything else. Do a search for "Rio" in this forum (or any forum) and fasten your seat belt.

I have seen first hand the carnage that a Rio failure can cause.

I don't have a suggestion for your problem at hand, but I think the first order of business is to make you aware of the potential issues arising from Rio pumps.

Jenn

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Check out the Mag Drives for your skimmer and return pumps

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Actually, I'm aware of the Rio problem but these came with my system (which I bought used). So far no worries. I maintain them pretty well. If and when they die I will get a different brand but I wasn't really wanting to spend for new powerheads... But, I don't know, I might have to.... Hm.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I think you are going to have to rearrange your plumbing situation. Relying on one pump's output to equal another is asking for problems. As the pumps get used and gunked up they will inevitibly change flow rates. If you can give me a better idea of how your fuge, sump and skimmer are set up maybe we can figure out a way to set it up so you don't have to buy anything just rearrange your plumbing

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the help, Laddy. Basically, the overflow box empties into a wet-dry sump box, from there it is pumped through a Berlin Skimmer which empties into a ten gallon refugium tank (with two baffles), and from there the water is sent back up into the main tank.

A few things. Minus the refugium, the current set-up worked perfectly on my smaller tank. (I realize the redundancy of skimmer and refugium but I've done it on other tanks so that the skimmer serves as only a periodic back up device). Also, the new tank is the exact same height as the other tank.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
658 Posts
If and when they die I will get a different brand but I wasn't really wanting to spend for new powerheads
Therein lies the problem... when they 'die', it's too late. :eek:
The problem with Rio's is they have no thermal overload protection, so they seize, and then explode from heat build-up, contaminating your tank.
I got my MaxiJet 1200's through ebay for $34 for two of them... a great deal for peace of mind.

Rio's are just a time-bomb waiting to go off... I guess it's up to you if you wish to risk crashing your tank because of a junk powerhead.

The only way you can really match the flow of two pumps (even if they're the same make and model) is with some sort of inline valve on the outlet side of the pump... this will allow you to adjust the flow rate and shouldn't harm the pump. It's nearly impossible to match them otherwise, and still difficult the way I mentioned.

HTH.

·
Registered
585 Posts
May I post a first hand experience at the shop regarding Rio Pump (another Rio pump horror story)

Our stock tanks were 100 gallons and up. Our new fish were placed in a 120 gallon holding tank, and separate from the main system. We put a Rio 2100 in for flow. One moring, just a few days after receiving a new stock of fish, I went to the shop early to get things ready, to feed the new babies, etc. It was still kinda dark outside,...cept for that tank. The tank was glowing very very bright...flickering type.

The pump had shortd out in the water and zapped all the fish. Since the thing is water proof, it just kept going and going and going. The smell was horrible.

This was my first and last experience with a Rio pump. On that day, we took all the rio pumps off the shelf and refused to carry them any longer.

It's not just the cost of the pump or the cost of the fish, it was the life of the animals that was the issue. We REFUSED to sell a product that we knew could/would kill the animals. Its just not fair to the animals.

We are the keepers of the animals, they depend on us to give them the best possible home we can. After all, they were doing just fine in the ocean.

For the above reason, we don't even offer the Rio pumps for sale on our website.

Just my 2 cents worth get rid of that Rio

·
Registered
680 Posts
I would also like to point out that if I understand your system correctly your only using one 2100 as the return? That would be maybe 450gph to the tank! If this is a reef tank you will want to get 10 X turn over per hour 1000gph! Depending on what type of overflow you have I would go with something like a mag 1200! Just my $.02

·
Registered
585 Posts
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If and when they die I will get a different brand but I wasn't really wanting to spend for new powerheads
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OMG, did you really say that? IF AND WHEN THEY DIE????

What happen to responsible reefkeeping? I am really hoping you didn't mean it the way it sounds

If you need a good price on Maxi-Jets or any other type, let me know....I would much rather sell them at cost than to have the animals in the electric tank

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Easy now. "If and when they die" was regarding the Rios. I am a very responsible reefkeeper and am upset when one hermit kills another; but, basically, my wife is due with a baby in one month and any extra expense for the fish tank just seems irresponsible. I will definitely take the idea of swapping pumps into consideration; it's just that right now is a crappy point in time to sink another $140 into pumps.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for helping me with the pumps, Squid. Those GX 2400s look awesome. Your assistance and advice were invaluable. I will keep you posted as to how the pumps work and in the meantime I'm going to be browsing your website for more good buys!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts