The Reef Tank banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My powerheads are held to the sides of my tank with suction cups, and basically every day they need to be pushed back on the glass or they fall down... I am trying to think of a way to keep them up there. I was thinking of getting some small peices of acrylic and making a little tray for them and attaching that to the side of the tank, or possibly some type of wires that hook to the canopy (I know i have to watch for something that is reef safe) Does anyone have any other ideas???

Edit: I am also kicking around an idea about an overflow/sump/fuge, if I do this then i could just have no powerheads and have it all fixed PVC. But I think that means drilling a hole through the glass, and that kind of scares me:eek:

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
you dont have to drill through the glass. you can just have everythign come over the top. my 55 isnt drilled, and i have an overflow and sump.

for my powerheads, i used the bracket that came with them that hangs over the edge. if yours doesnt have somethign like that, you can make one out of a piece of acrylic shaped like an L or rather like a "U" with one side longer than the other. then jsut wire tire the PH to the bracket, using plastic wire ties.

hanging from the canopy, might allow the ph to move around too much from vibration. although, it would add for some random currents :funny:

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think that is a much better idea than trying to make a plate and sticking it to the side. I need to look into the sump/overflow deal more, glad to know it can be done w/out drilling! Thanks

·
Administrator
47,619 Posts
Hey Matt, omost of the suction cups are less than optimal, so fabbing brackets is a popular reef pass time. doing away with them is why closed loops are so popular these days

·
Registered
371 Posts
:idea: Matt , I have the same probs at times. I do the old credit card trick first, you have to scrape all the growth from the glass where you want the p/h or it will never stick well.

HTH, Lee:beer:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts