The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I just wanted to hear about the corals everyone got from the powerbuy, My mom got me a 5 inch neon green star polyp rock with a zoa on it, she didn't get me zoas cause she said that they were brown! what did you guys get?

·
Registered
155 Posts
I got 1 of each; the zoas looked brown; but they looked a bit closed up; I didnt get a good look at them before I had to turn the light off but I believe they may have had some green in them if I saw correctly.

was a little confused though, didnt seem like there were that many of them; since they mentioned doubling the order which I think would mean around 40. maybe there were more in a holding tank.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I believe I said:
10/5/2005
"So, for a coral power buy, you are looking at aquiring the most common and brown colored corals availabe."

and you responded:

"i'm still in favor of corals, "....sharkboy1410

alan

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
True...Getting crazy color zoos and mushrooms isn't cheap. You normally need to buy them from online vendors. A power buy on corals is not the best way to find the corals you are looking for. Spend the extra dough for the good stuff....

·
Founder-Canton Reef Club
1,839 Posts
Ok just back. Guess I was too late. Kayla was great but it appears more people showed up than the board listed here or people bought more than they requested.

Because I got nothing!..At 3 today it was cleaned out.

So much for stating what we wanted. So how does it work? If you commit to certain items and those aren't there when you show up? Kayla told me that Wednesday more were coming in but that will not work for me when I am in DC then.

I am ready for just salt or filters on power buys from now on.

·
Registered
155 Posts
like I said, I saw maybe 10 of each type when I was in there on friday at 3ish unless there were more elsewhere no way they were gonna meet the expected quantity. *shrug*

·
Registered
560 Posts
bauerbach said:
Individual Mushroom Polyp - 11
Metallic Green Star Polyps -12
Aqua Cultured Zoanthids - 19
Umbrella Leather - 4
Finger Leather - 3

if its not too late Ill take a mushroom polyp, green star, and a zoanthid. 1 each.

if I am too late, then I understand.
I think that was the list.

When I was there about noon there was enought Star polly, but I do belive there was not enough zoon in the tank. NO Leather anywhere in the store nor anything else were put in to replace the Leather.

Most of the corals was nt opening up like they should. I tested their water once I got home and everything seem fine, however the salt water was a too low. I got an 1.019

well here is the pic of the zoo i got. OMG I just notice that the hold zoo was smaller then my mushroom.
Maybe it just me, but I would not had brought it if it was over $20.
Am I wrong here to think that the price on corals in Atlanta are WAY TOO HIGH?

·
Registered
155 Posts
in the past Ive been reffered by everyone in that store; I thought including josh; that my salinity should be 1.018-1.019. I dont know if that is just store policy or what.

I didnt really listen because Ive heard otherwise. but I think that is just the salinity they do at the store.

·
Registered
630 Posts
I think it is common practice in fish stores to have low salinity. It helps to kill the parasites.

This would not be good for long term fish or coral health, but they don't plan to keep them longterm

·
Registered
557 Posts
Talked to Paul today, my understanding, is they are running the power buy all month. And getting more in next week, such as acro's, other mushrooms, zoo's and such amongst others. Granted probably having the full amount on the day we've been told to get them, but its definately nice for them to run it all month with more available.

also, I'm probably wrong, but what parasite doesn't do well at 1.019?? Thinking that has to be much lower if going to get rid of parasites.

·
Registered
799 Posts
hesstondc said:
True...Getting crazy color zoos and mushrooms isn't cheap. You normally need to buy them from online vendors. A power buy on corals is not the best way to find the corals you are looking for. Spend the extra dough for the good stuff....
I disagree. I shop at Capp Bay all the time, and am in their frag bins all the time. Tonight for 9.99 I got a nice colored frag with maybe 10 polyps on it. Maybe the power buy has more polyps, but you do not need to spend a lot. While the nicer colors are usually in the 14.99 to 19.99 range, that’s not a special price, but an every day price.

For now on when doing a coral or livestock power buy you really have to consider what a store or vendor normally has. Chances are the wholesaler will not perform a miracle for them just because the order is a little bigger

·
Registered
560 Posts
there are 3 collor in my zoo. So they are not all brown

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I guess I had a different vision in my head when i read "aquacultured" I was thinking they'd be colorful (atleast not brown)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts