The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well The power went out from 6:10 pm to about 9:45 :( Power is still not at full strength we are unable to turn on any fluorescent lights yet. George (my husband) ran out and got a Die hard power inverter 750 and hooked it up to his deep cycle battery for his trolling motor (He is always looking for a way to justify his fishing expenses :) ) And we were able to keep flow going in the 95 and the 24g The 5.5 got an air stone and a battery pump.
and here comes the Storm!!!! We are about to be hammered with major Thunderstorms. George is charging the trolling motor battery as I type in case we lose power again.

·
Administrator
46,885 Posts
I hate to say it givei the rising cost of fuel but maybe a generator at some point in the hear future :(

·
Premium Member
14,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Doug1 said:
I hate to say it givei the rising cost of fuel but maybe a generator at some point in the hear future :(
Yep it's in the plan but not the budget at the moment :)

·
11,345 Posts
Good luck kelli....glad everything is ok for the moment....
.i think george needs to go out and buy the biggest baddest marine battery he can find...........of course with that hes going to need to buy the biggest baddest trolling motor to go with it..........

·
Super Moderator
27,079 Posts
:bigeek: Good luck with all of that, Kelli! I heard that Chicagoland area is in for bad storms!

Lots of prayers out for everyone.

·
11,345 Posts
VWD said:
My generator left tonight, The motor home is owned by someone else now, was taken today, I guess I will have to buy a free standing one soon.
on the generator subject....what is the most economical generator that can run a couple of full systems for a few days???

anyone???

·
Premium Member
14,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Fly Guy said:
on the generator subject....what is the most economical generator that can run a couple of full systems for a few days???

anyone???
Great Question Bill !! I'd like to find out also being with out the computer was the hardest part :)

·
Registered
430 Posts
dobejazz said:
Great Question Bill !! I'd like to find out also being with out the computer was the hardest part :)
this one looks pretty good for the price.. they're not cheap.. but 3600W for just over 5 bills is pretty good.

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?pid=07132361000&vertical=Sears&BV_UseBVCookie=Yes

that should limp you along for a couple days..

or 5600W for just over 800..

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?pid=07132561000&vertical=Sears&BV_UseBVCookie=Yes

·
11,345 Posts
tiburon said:
this one looks pretty good for the price.. they're not cheap.. but 3600W for just over 5 bills is pretty good.

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?pid=07132361000&vertical=Sears&BV_UseBVCookie=Yes

that should limp you along for a couple days..

or 5600W for just over 800..

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?pid=07132561000&vertical=Sears&BV_UseBVCookie=Yes
and what is required to make it take over when the power does go out??

we DONT get power outages here....but....*knocking on you know what*

·
Registered
17 Posts
get a battery backup too.... i got one rated at 320W for 8 hours so i just keep my return pump which is 110w plugged into that and that buys me enough time to get home qand start up one of the generators we have at the house!

u need both cuz whos to say if ull be home to know that the power is out

that battery backup thing cost me 200 from best buy

we dont get all the storms out here in so cali but rolling blackouts do happen

·
Premium Member
24,599 Posts
To have it kick in when the power goes out is best to have a pro do it, They make big unit for that, That is the best way to do it , But then the cost is really high, I have acess to my sump room and can run the ac/heat and everything down stairs. then will have to run a cord to the fridge upstairs. But now I need to get one. Will do that I hope by winter

·
Super Moderator
27,079 Posts
dobejazz said:
Tom has a cool system in place But you'd need to here it from him I don't understand how it works
:rolleyes: I know what you mean, Kelli. I heard him explain that to me over the phone, and I'm lost too :funny:

·
Registered
430 Posts
Fly Guy said:
and what is required to make it take over when the power does go out??

we DONT get power outages here....but....*knocking on you know what*
it needs to be professionally wired for that.. there's a switch that auto-senses a voltage drop and starts + cuts over to the generator... We had something like that at the ISP I worked about 7 years ago... it was pretty slick.. but again, not cheap..

Getting a medium sized UPS is prolly the easiest thing to do to just keep the return pump (and maybe another small power draw device) going during an average to medium length outage... something like this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16842106116

would buy you a lot of "limping time" with sump pump and protein skimming only operation.. and it cuts to battery automagically in the event of a power drop.. UPSs get expensive also.. look for sales! I think you can get a 3000VA/1500W one for under $300 on sale.

·
11,345 Posts
tiburon said:
it needs to be professionally wired for that.. there's a switch that auto-senses a voltage drop and starts + cuts over to the generator... We had something like that at the ISP I worked about 7 years ago... it was pretty slick.. but again, not cheap..
Does anybody know what the switch is called or a good place/link to buy them?????? i can deal with the wiring part

1 - 20 of 22 Posts