The Reef Tank banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This past weekend I found a new LFS and found the clowns I've been looking for! Woo Hoo! But then I come home to a note from the electric company saying they're doing routine maintenance next sat and my power will be out for 9 hours!:help: I mean I know that when suppliers ship fish they get stuck in a small bag with little to no air and can survive 24 hours, but I'm really paranoid about my tanks and don't want to cause any stress to my newly added fish. What's the best thing I can do for them? I'm in southern cali so the temp at night doesn't change that drastically. I'm just worried about them not getting any air. Think I should invest in a generator or will they be fine?

Oh yeah, here's a pic of my new finds!! Introducing, Bonnie and Clyde!

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
how much sand do you have in the system. the more sand in the system the more i encourage you to get a generator. if you are running a BB tank than all you need to do is keep the tank fairly warm and get some water movement going. with a sand bed you need to keep the tank as warm as possible and have as much water movement as possible to keep the sand bacteria from depleting the entire tank of oxygen.

a simple car battery and a power inverter rated to the amount of watts you need should be plenty for keeping the tank warm and some water movement. though some generators are pretty inexpensive. though you pay for noise when buying generators.

G~

·
Registered
324 Posts
Cool fish i found a pair of percula's that im looking to buy too. I wouldn't worry to much about it as long as your water quality is up to par. Drip aclimate and you should be fine. What size tank do you have? The bigger the tank the less i would worry.

I say dont worry because i had a power outage at my house for 12 hours (also in CAL) without a problem. Only thing that happened is that the fish went to sleep with the lights off!

:lol:

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
how much sand do you have in the system. the more sand in the system the more i encourage you to get a generator. if you are running a BB tank than all you need to do is keep the tank fairly warm and get some water movement going. with a sand bed you need to keep the tank as warm as possible and have as much water movement as possible to keep the sand bacteria from depleting the entire tank of oxygen.

a simple car battery and a power inverter rated to the amount of watts you need should be plenty for keeping the tank warm and some water movement. though some generators are pretty inexpensive. though you pay for noise when buying generators.

G~

I've got about 3 inches of sand bed. is there anything else I could do for water movement? I found a generator that's pretty much a huge battery but it would only work for 2 hours. Could I possibly run it in the middle of the 9 hours? Would that help out? or do you think the oxygen would be depleted by then?

·
r e e f e r 4 l i f e
2,210 Posts
A battery backup UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply) can help with that sometimes. I have one that can keep my tank opperational for about 3 hours if the power goes out. Unfortunately that wouldn't help much for the power going out for 9 hours. They make larger ones though at least.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I think I'll be doing ALL of the things you've suggested. I'll be the fool at 2am waving my hands in the tank and trying to rotate the generator to all 5 of my tanks while trying to keep everything warm. Should make for a fun night :jester:....until I pass out from sleep exhaustion.

·
Registered
199 Posts
During Hurricane Charlie, I was out of power for 3 days. I did water changes for the freshwater tank. I bought a battery operated bilge pump and motorcycle battery from Wal-Mart for the saltwater tank. I didn't lose any freshwater and a couple of saltwater critters. My problems really didn't start until about the 48 hour mark. I think my problem was more temperature related though. 96 degrees outside and about 85-90 inside. Tank got up to mid 80's all three days

·
Just send me a PM ;)
16,796 Posts
doh.. George beat me to it!

ask crvz...chris how well they work :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts