The Reef Tank banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the grid in crystal just sucks, i swear it goes out like 3-4 times a year ...

every time i say i am going to go get a generator and a battery back up system , will this be the time ? always seems hard to spend the cash in the morning... what i'd really like is one of those generators that runs on natural gas and automatically turns one when the power goes out, hard to put one in when you know that you ate going to move in a year or two.

·
Registered
12,070 Posts
Well i am not sure on the prices on those but someone in my area was going to have one of those installed for him and like you said comes on when the power goes out. Well they wanted i think around $8,000 to install it and hook it up and so on. It may have been a little more or less.

Tim

·
TCMAS Member
5,667 Posts
How long was it out ?

Nothing happened over here.

I've got a Honda 2000w portable your welcome to anytime that I don't need it at the same time. Worked great for me last fall when the storm knocked us out for 3-4 days....

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
went out about 10pm for about 3-4 hours but they said it was going to be out until noon ... My truck has a 400w plug built into the bed so i used that to run a whole gang of the modded MJ's. had extension cords going all over the place : ) even plugged in my laptop so we could watch a DVD : )

thanks for the offer david , i may take ya up on that some day.

tim - depending on how many watts you want you can find generac guardian units for $2000-4000 and im just guessing its about a $1,000 to install . Its not overly complex installation, run a gas line to the unit and wire it to your circuit breaker. still costly . If i didn't have plans on moving i think think strongly about it.

something like this would be really nice but it got bad reviews : ( maybe they will improve it someday.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/customer-reviews/B000256TBM/ref=cm_cr_dp_pt/002-4398307-9446457?ie=UTF8&n=228013&s=hi

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
The more that i think about it i guess my trucks plug in works as well as a generator for short term outages. I have never had to deal with anything long term.

Id buy the jemco battery back up but I'd need more than one and i have no idea how id wire it with all the tanks downstairs and upstairs , id have to have all the powerheads on the same power bar or something , there would be cords going everywhere...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts