The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay so i hear that keeping large saltwater tanks makes your power bill go crazy. i dont plan on doing a reef tank yet. but ill be getting at least a 130 gallon tank with a great protein skimmer, uv sterilizer, rena xp3 canister filter, heater, lighting, powerheads, an ro unit, and maybe a chiller.

·
Administrator
61,111 Posts
where are you located? the ave temp will matter a lot
for virtually every application you have listed there are a wide range of equipment that will work at lower end of power consumption. Research before buying

·
Premium Member
27,090 Posts
What type of lighting are you going with? That will be a big factor in whether you need that chiller as well.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
wow thanks for the replies guys. i never knew a canister filter would increase nitrates. good thing i havent bought one yet.

we live in a very hot area. the temp will get up to about 105 degrees F in the summer. plus my room doesnt get very good AC at all!

and im not sure about lighting quite yet. just a regular florescent bulb i guess.

·
Reefer Madness
180 Posts
wow thanks for the replies guys. i never knew a canister filter would increase nitrates. good thing i havent bought one yet.

we live in a very hot area. the temp will get up to about 105 degrees F in the summer. plus my room doesnt get very good AC at all!

and im not sure about lighting quite yet. just a regular florescent bulb i guess.
May want to invest in an window AC for your room, are pretty cheap on craigs list.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Canister filters don't always increase nitrates. They can be good if you clean them out every day. Its when people don't clean them out everyday that they start to let the stuff in them deteriorate and then it causes nitrates. I use filter socks but I change them out all the time. It helps.

·
I got Crabs
1,459 Posts

I live in arizona.. Temps get into the 115 sometime in summer... I ran a 6 bulb t5ho on my 90g and no chiller... House would be around 77~80 ..tank temps would reach 84 at times.... I took a clip on fan and had it blow across surface water aNd lites...temps stays under 80 all summer long... Around 78~79

·
Premium Member
27,090 Posts
I guess the next real question for you is, what are your plans for the tank? Do you want fish only or fish and corals? This will really help you decide what kind of lighting you will need. This will help determine the heat that you will have to deal with.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.