The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the last few years, I have unsuccessfully introduced both powder blues and regals into my 90 gallon reef tank. Within hours, they become tainted with ick and are usually dead by morning. I have taken water samples to my LFS and also have tested levels myself (cant always trust the LFS guys!).

Anyone else having such problems? Has anyone who had this problem found a cure?

Thanks,
Mike

·
Premium Member
24,599 Posts
I am a firm believer that ick is a parasite that come into the tank on the fish or in the water or is in the tank already. A water test is not goning to tell you if You or the LFS had it. More then likely You are bringing it in on the new fish. Some fish are more prone to get it then others.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
My understanding is that ich is a stress related illness. That is, it is always present but most of the time fish can naturally resist it. In times of stress they become susceptible to it. Do you quarantine your fish? What is your acclimation procedure? You may want to see if you can get the lfs to hold the fish for a week or so so that you can see if it is healthy and so you can give it some time to get healthy.

Also, what are you testing for? What additives do you use?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi chris.

I acclimate my fish using tubing and a bucket. I acclimate according to what I've read on saltwaterfish.com.

As far as tests, I run calcium, ammonia, phosphates, pH, kH, and SG.

Additives are Coral Vital, Reef Buffer, Reef Advantage (ca), Reef builder. I use Tropic Marin Salt.

I have recently added a Phos-ban reactor and Sea gel to wipe out my phosphates once and for all.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
I would imagine that ich is a pretty persistent thing in LFS tanks but most of the sick/dead ones get scooped out before anyone can notice. I'm concerned about the fact that you say that the fish usually die within a day, it seems pretty quick. I'm wondering if there is something environmental which is stressing the fish to the point that they are very susceptible to an infection that they may have been previously fighting off. Do you always buy from the same store?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
There are two stores where I bought fish in the past. Now, I only get fish from one store and corals from the other. Both stores love me because I have spent sooooo much money in the past. Or is it my money they love?

Anyway, I have great luck with other fish: my purple tilefish, two green canary blennies, flame hawk, Marine beta, flame angel, and potters angel.

I can never get a powder blue or regal tang to make it for more than 24 hours in my tank. Bums me out bigtime.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Hmm, well, the only way to be sure that the fish is free of ich is to quarantine it for a minimum of 28 days. If it shows signs of ich during that time, treat with copper in the QT, and keep the fish in the QT for another 28 days after it shows no signs of ich. Of course, quarantining a tang requires a pretty sizable tank I'd guess no less than 20gal, prob more.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I bought a hippo and a yellow that showed no signs of ich but the hippo was stressed. Garlic is a great help in thier aclimation, not just getting them used to your water but eating and becoming comfortable. Use care with it, even if it says organic or whatever, you can add bad stuff to your tank. I grow garlic but you can buy it at any store, not the jar stuff. Press it, rinse it in RO then press it finer, soak your dry seaweed or whatever you feed your tangs when stressed with some tank water, it will help them transition them to captive life. Be careful to not over feed, then you can reduce this before you get too much nitrate and over pooping for lack of a better term, and then feed mysis with a little seaweed suppliment and you should be fine. It seems that tangs get stressed easily but once they are aclimated for a couple weeks no problem

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Wow! I just want to say how impressed I am with all the willingness to help! I have been on a couple of other forums and they are not nearly as nice/helpful. Flaming is their thing...

Vince, tank is a 90 gal integrated.

I have bought the garlic supplement from the petstore, but I will try again with fresh garlic. Great advice capt!

Thanks. I plan to get another one tommorrow. I will keep you all posted on the results...

·
Registered
38 Posts
Something seems out of whack if they are all dying within 24 hours.
You did'nt say what the test results are?
I would certainly stay away from powder blue tangs as they are much harder to keep anyway.

I had a blue hippo in my 150 for 8 years until it sadly jumped out. Ive had others in the past for many years also.
The one I had for 8 years got ich every summer when the tank warmed up but it did always go away.
I did sometimes use a remedy by sano that is reef safe. Ive used it for years but it's expensive. It's not a med but some kind of herbal thing a guy makes.
Even when I did'nt use it the ich went away.
I'm not saying ich is'nt deadly it is sometimes.
My blue tang would get it and the other fish never did.
Ich usually won't kill the fish within 24 hours though and that concerns me.

It really seems like some other cause to me.

kass

1 - 20 of 22 Posts