The Reef Tank banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well Mike(Mojoreef) has me all excited about tangs again!;)

I have always wanted a PBT in my reef aquarium. I know they are not the easiest of tangs to keep and can get ick quite easily. This would be my show fish and probably my last one!

Just looking for people who have them and would they share their experiences with them and their feeding habits!

I have a 80 gallon reef with the left side open quite a bit for extra swim space.

Just something I want and this project is on the back burner for now!:)

·
bug hunter
816 Posts
Johnny,

I've had my PBT for almost a year. I got lucky and got him from a fellow reefer who was breaking his tank down. He was 5" when I got him and without getting out the ruler out I'd say he's put on at least an inch. He is a pig, I feed blender mush(with alot of nori) and sheets of nori.

I drove up to Seatlle to get this fish and he spent almost 3 hours in a 5 gal bucket. Put him in my tank and all was well for the first couple of weeks. He got ich really bad for about two weeks and after feeding garlic soaked foods and adding a pair of cleaner shrimp to the tank the ich went away. I haven't done the garlic thing for awhile because the ich hasn't mad a comeback.

Every now and then he'll get a couple of white spots here and there but you have to look real hard to see them, I think my cleaners help out alot.

My tank is 6' and 18" front to back and it is HIS tank(don't tell that to my yellow tang though) keep in mind that. They posture alot at feeding time but never cause damage.

Do you have a tang already?

If you're buying from a LFS then I would have them hold it for you for 2 weeks before you bring it home. Make sure it eats at the lfs .

I really don't think I would have ever bought one if I did not get the chance to get this fish from a fellow reefer. You've probably read all of the posts about PBT's and I was always scared to try one.

I wish you luck

Jon

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Clint nope! But know what your are getting at!;) Also I'm in chat!:)

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
Yeah...I gotta go with Steve on this one. We have one in our 135 with a foxface, copperband and 2 clowns. He has ich at the moment. We got the PBT about 2-3 weeks ago. He does not seem bothered by the ich and is still eating great. We are feeding garlic soaked mysis, spirulina, etc. He was in perfect condition when we got him, so I'm hoping he will breeze through the adjustment period. He is definately getting better though. Cross your fingers for us. I'd wait on the PBT till you get a bigger tank, though. :)

Brooke

·
Premium Member
18,603 Posts
Johnny I have my Powder brown which is the same but not blue he has no ich and is eating brine shrimp I have had him a short while,I know that these fish are sensative so think twice before buying I did, and it took me a long time to find one that looked healthy.:)

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I guess I was hoping that some of you guys would convince me to get one but as usual ya came through and were being very level headed about it and for that I thank you and will let the BTA go until another time or a bigger tank!:)

·
Registered
334 Posts
I have a Sailfin Tang in my100g, It can get around 18" but made a deal with the LFS to take it back if he gets too big. I also have a Regal Tang, but are small right now. I've had them about 3 months now, minor ICK at the beginning but Ye Garlic works well so far.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts