The Reef Tank banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi folks,

I had a number of helpful responses last week when considering the set up to buy, and that was a big help in making my choice: a 55-gallon tank with nearly a hundred pounds of live rock.

There have been some frustrations though in the set up, and I'm hoping for some good ideas. I had a stand made for me, but unfortunately the stand was too narrow for the sump that I bought with the tank. even a smaller 15 gallon tank wouldn't fit the opening. Because I had the fish in a bucket I needed to do something quick, so my local fish store put together a protein skimmer for me. It's a cpr hob skimmer. I can't quite make out the pump which was pulled out of a drawer with other used pumps but I think it's a Rio 600. I also bought a muffler for the skimmer but this tank is in my office, and even with the muffler the skimmer is loud (not nearly as loud though without it). Would a different pump quiet it down? If so, can anyone suggest a pump?

I suppose I could go back to the sump pump and filtration if I could find a tank that would fit a space that's 10 deep and a door opening that's 16 and 17. But i have yet to see anything that would, even a ten gallon tank. I'm assuming I can't go smaller than that, correct? It's a pretty big pump (eco 1056 submersible), or is that pump overkill for a 55 -gallon tank.

If I stick with the skimmer, would it still be beneficial to get more water circulating through the tank? If so, I could install a HOB filter but also would need a quiet one. Any recommendations? If I do go that route, do people recommend those with the rinsable sponge?

sorry for so many questions but thanking you in advance for patience.

jeff

· Registered
188 Posts
okay ... it sounds like you're gonna go "sumpless" .... if so, you're gonna have to increase the flow inside the aquarium since you've lost the flow from a return pump. I'd probably add a few powerheads vs. the HOB filter idea.

If a "sump" is still something you want ... then you might be able to get one built out of acrylic. Heck, I used a "tidy cat litter bucket" as a sump on my 45 column tank .... but my pump was an external flow ... not sure how big the eco pump you have is ....

I know nothing about HOB protein skimmers .... never owned one and will defer to others here ...

Good luck!!!

..... oh yeah, is the skimmer producing skimmate yet??

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks, I'll pick up the powerheads as soon as I can. the tank is glass and isn't drilled, so I have the protein skimmer going (loud) and right now borrowed a friend's used aqua clear HOB just to get the water moving.

the nitrates are over 25, this after a ten-gallon water change this afternoon with special bacteria filled water from an excellent saltwater store here in portland. I'm a bit worried that they're just not going down, this despite all this live rock that we wrapped carefully and moved. the protein skimmer is definitely skimming.

btw, when should I change the skimmer. the box is filled with foam but not water. Any more thoughts about removing the nitrates or is it just time. we kept most of the water, and all of the rock from the original owner's set up. He's as puzzled as I am.

jeff

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
tank cycled but more questions....

my tank and fish have settled in nicely. all of my test results are excellent, so here's the latest question: i put in a koralia 2800/750 powerhead (I have a 55 gallon tank). the fish (four clowns, a yellow tang, coral beauty) struggled against it for a while but are now pretty much full time crowded together on the opposite end of the tang away from the powerhead. I don't see any way to regulate the powerhead. is it too strong for the tank?

jeff

· Lost At Sea
1,513 Posts
my tank and fish have settled in nicely. all of my test results are excellent, so here's the latest question: i put in a koralia 2800/750 powerhead (I have a 55 gallon tank). the fish (four clowns, a yellow tang, coral beauty) struggled against it for a while but are now pretty much full time crowded together on the opposite end of the tang away from the powerhead. I don't see any way to regulate the powerhead. is it too strong for the tank?

jeff
You can disperse the flow abit using one of the following tricks:
1.) Angle it towards the front or back so the water deflects off of it.
2.) Center the powerhead a little higher than halfway down one of the side panels and angle up to the surface as sharply as it'll go. This will agitate the surface and again deflect the flow a bit.
3.) Position the powerhead on one of the side panels a few inches below the surface and allow to flow across to the opposite end. This setup should both agitate the surface and keep the 'force' of the flow higher up away from the fish.

As for your stand, is the back of it closed off with a panel? Wondering if you could squeeze your sump in that way. If you just can't get anything in there for a sump, FutureDoc has a thread you can search for where he reviews a bunch of skimmers (FutureDocs Skimmer Thread) I believe he mentions the favored HOB skimmer in it.

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks, I'll try it.

when the hob skimmer I had leaked out the back, I yanked it and then cut out a section on the side of the stand, bought a sump and slid it in and then replaced the side with a post so I didn't lose support. the new skimmer is a used bubblemax. I'm still in the process of adjusting it and the water level in the sump.

Interestingly, where the fish are hanging out is directly under the end of the return hose where the most aeration is occurring. I wonder if that indicates that there's not enough aeration in the rest of the tank and that the issue is not the powerhead.

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I just purchased some neoprene to put under the air pumps in my sump and just wanted to check to see if anyone has ever had a bad experience with it in terms of their fishes' health. there's nothing printed on it, it's maroon on one side and black on the other.

· Lost At Sea
1,513 Posts
Don't really know if there are negative effects. But I use a thick filter pad to silence my pump. As it needs to be replaced because it collects rot, youse wanna swap out the neoprene if no one can vouche for safety.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.