The Reef Tank banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I set up a 33 gallon 4 days ago, put about 20lbs of rock in it..

The rock was from a 3 year established tank, but then it sat in a closed lid garbage can with very little water and about 150lbs of live sand (lol dont ask) for about 6 days !!!!!!!!

Well I tested yesterady and amonia was zero nitrites were zero and nitrates were 40 ppm ????

Does this mean I am cycled (can i introduce a starfish and a shrimp or some snails) (what about a clown or two)

What do I do next some one help ?

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Unless its the SLOWEST possible cycle ever? Did you test everything frequently? If there were no changes at all, Id imagine is just hasnt cycled yet....

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Nitrates are too high to add an invertibrate. I would wait a few weeks for nitrate to come down.

The ammonia could be yet to come..... You need poop-- go to the store and get a piece of raw unseasoned shripmp. Plop it it the tank for a day or too. If there is no ammmonia, you already have enough bacteria (I would still wait to let the system mature thought) If there is ammonia, take the shimp out and wait for colonies of bacteria to build up. The bacteria need food, ammonia, so putting some in the tank will make more bacteria.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok will try what about a chunk of chop meat since i dont have any fish handy hehehehehee

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i changed no water and jsut tested first time yesterday i will wait a week and try to add food see what happens

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
it has an inch or two of live sand that was with tank and never dried out so maybe that explains some of hte fast cycle ?

·
the shutterbug mod!
2,394 Posts
I'd still let it for a few weeks... patience is the key with salt tanks, you just can't rush it or you're asking for trouble. It's hard, I know!!! :)

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok I am leaving to go get my new 180 prolly wont be on all night maybe I cna update tomorrpw :)

Wish me luck when u read this ......

Ed

·
Registered
38 Posts
I set up a 12 gal aquapod about 5 weeks ago. I used live sand and rock from my 150 gal. Mine never cycled.
I would still wait if I were you as 4 days is'nt very long.
I used rock and sand that were well established and not sitting in a garbage can.
I added a few frags from my 55 after about 2 weeks a few at a time in case it still did cycle.
I did'nt add the snails or crabs till week 3 or 4 and still did'nt add any fish.

Just go slow as it might still cycle.

kass

1 - 16 of 16 Posts