The Reef Tank banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a humbug damsel that is suddenly acting strange. His gills become pale and dark and he starts swimming erratically. he has a white little spec at the crown. these small outburst last about a minute and are sperratic. I hope its not ich lol

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Its been running for about 3 weeks. Oh god, don't tell me I could be electrocuting them. I need to ground my tank asap. What type of conductor can I use?

·
Registered
7,042 Posts
at three weeks it's way to soon to have fish, you need to test your water.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Listen guy's, I realize that and im right there with ya. Its not only my tank its my brothers as well. I wanted to cycle the tank without any fish but my brothers impatient and i came home from school 3 weeks ago to find the tank with fish. Needless to say, I was pissed. My LFS wont take em back and im stuck trying to keep these guys alive. so im limited to what i can do. Instead of criticizing just help me out, if you like.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My Current levels are:
Sal-28
S.G.-1.021
Free Amm- 0
Tot Amm- 0.1
Nitrite-5
Nitrate-0.1
PH-8.2
Alk-4.5

What do you guy's think and how can I lower that nitrite spike?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I missed that Chris! your right ,take them back!
Listen guy's, I realize that and im right there with ya. Its not only my tank its my brothers as well. I wanted to cycle the tank without any fish but my brothers impatient and i came home from school 3 weeks ago to find the tank with fish. Needless to say, I was pissed. My LFS wont take em back and im stuck trying to keep these guys alive. so im limited to what i can do. Instead of criticizing just help me out, if you like.

·
Registered
7,042 Posts
im sorry but no one is criticizing you only giving you our opinion, if you cant do any thing with the fish then the next best thing is to do some water changes and hope for the best.

·
Premium Member
8,278 Posts
you may need to do some small waterchanges through the cycling process to keep ammonia and nitrite levels safe for fish. Having fish during the cycle is not ideal.... but it used to be the status quo so it is not the end of the world. It doesn't sound particularly like ich but keep us updated. It sounds more like they are getting ammonia burns in the gills from the detectable ammonia. keep making RO or buying distilled water and keeping SW on hand to do waterchanges. It isn't the most efficient way to go about things but it is not the end of the world either.

·
Registered
8,350 Posts
Ammonia burning the gills as jenglish pointed out is the most likely problem. Even if it does survive the cycle, you do not want these damsels in your tank. Unlike the blue or yellow tail damsels that stay small, these 3 stripe damsels (humbugs) get big. 3 stripes, 4 stripes, dominos, duskys, sargeant majors, pretty much every common damsel besides the blue or yellow tail get too large and their aggressive attitude will end up causing problems. Imagine a 3 or 4in long damsel with an attitude that won't tolerate any other fish being in it's territory for long. One way or another, they need to go.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I just started doing frequent small water changes they seem fine now. Um i appreciate the info a lot! its been helping me out a ton! when i start getting more familiar with everything ill definetly contribute to TRT:read:. Thanks alot!

:banana:peanut Butter jelly time:banana:

·
My own ocean
1,662 Posts
[/quote]:banana:peanut Butter jelly time:banana:[/quote]

Nice.....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts