The Reef Tank banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I have what might be a stupid questions. Please excuse me because i am still kind of new to this.

I just set up my new protein skimmer. I got the coralife super skimmer. Now my question to everyone is...... where should the bubbles be in the collection cup? In the instructions it says to have the microbubbles 1/4 inch up the cone. sounds good to me, but my question is is does this mean the top of all of the bubbles, or the area where the small bubbles build up on top of the rest of the water, about 1" down from the top of the bubbles. I hope that made some kind of sense to anyone because i dont know how else to explain it. I hope i'm setting this up right because it would be pointless to have a skimmer that wasnt working.

Second question is about ich. Recently i had had a regal angel who had had ich, and i lost him through stupidity. Now, i noticed that one of my clowns was breathing heavily and through the knowledge of this forum we diagnosed him with ich as well. My question is, how the hell do i get it out of my tank. I have inverts, so medication is out. What else can i do? Will they recover if i let it continue on them? I have a UV light, but hvent replaced the bulb in two years. I am going to replace the bulb tomorrow and hope that that can keep this undercontrol. any advice would be much appreciated.

thanks everyone

·
Registered
363 Posts
If you know someone who will hold the inverts for you, I'd lower the salinity in the tank to get rid of the ich.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
the UV bulb is a good start, also if you can I would get a cleaner shrimp, they will clean the ich from the fish. Does the fish have white dots on its body?
I always tought that ich will atack a weak and stressed fish, is anything or any other fish harrasing the clown? how are your water parameters? any changes in temperature? is the tank in a high trafic area or kids bang on the glass? all this things could be stressing the fish. Having one fish with ich is one thing but is there is a second now you need to llok at the big picture.

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
I still say set up a qt. You can get a cheap 10 gallon tank from wal mart. The best bet is to remove all the fish and treat them with low salinity. Without host in the display the parasites will die off. This will save your fish now and you will have a qt for the future so this doesn't happen again. A qt tank is just as important as a skimmer in my opinion. I am not familiar with that skimmer but I know it takes a couple of days for the skimmer to get skimming like it should. The bubbles should be low if you just started it, as it starts to skim the the bubbles will rise, if they are no higher tomarrow adjust a little more until gradually you have it to where the bubbles are bursting at the top of the tube but not overflowing. Hope this makes since I can see what I want to say but putting it to words is hard.

·
Registered
560 Posts
there are 2 setting on that skimmer. 1 for wet and the other for dry..

Let it run for like 3 days then set them to dry skim first and slowly set them to wetter... watch you skimmer level and set it to how you want your skimmer to skim..

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well....... the clown is not being harassed by anyone, so nix that idea. there are actually no spots on his body, but he is breathing heavily with his mouth open and after i posted those facts on here two days ago everyone said it was ich.

the only thing that has changed recently is the temp of the tank. I just set up my new light MH and PC combo, and that has raised the tanl temp from 77 to 79 that is the only thing that has changed recently. Any ideas on how to bring the tank temp down ?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
jena, what would you say i need all in all for a qt? let me know exactly because i will see if i can get everything together to get these fish back to best health

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
a fan next to tank blowing across the water. But temp of 79 is great. I have never seen a fish with ich not have spots and he's be like that a couple of days. Not sure if it is ich.

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
Just get the 10 gallon setup ( or the 20 if you got the $) I say leave it bb and just thow some of your lr (dont need alot this is just to kick start good bacteria). Hope someone will tell us how low the salinity can be for fish to be okay and still kill the parasites. My qt is at 1.017 but I think it can be lower. The light and hob that comes with the tank setup should be all you need just for fish. I actually have two hob on my qt and I think it was $20 for the extra one rated up to 45 gallons.

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
temp of 79 isn't the reason your fish has ick if he really does. I have always thought fish that have ich have white spots. I also have a coralife 220 and I have mine set with he bubbles right at the btm of the rim of the collection cup. Ive had mine for about a month and I can tell you for the first week or so watch your collection cup closely. I had to empty mine almost every day. It has now slowed down but I still have to watch it when I add top of water. I find the coralife skimmer to be VERY sensitive and so do other members of trt. Also one last thing welcome to trt!!

·
Registered
616 Posts
Same skimmer here. I'm very happy with it. I am always tweaking the wetness setting to try to get it just right, but I figure as long as it's producing skimmate I'm in business. Try not to let it overflow on you.

·
Premium Member
5,051 Posts
I have the same skimmer and have had it overflow once. It was probably my own fault. I run the skimmer with the top of the water (the part where the bubbles collect on top of the water column) about an inch below the bottom of the cone. This produces a dryer skimate but I also feel like it reduces my chances of an overflow.

·
Reef Nut
1,254 Posts
I ran a QT at only 1.015 for a couple of weeks and the fish were fine. When I had FO tank I kept it at 1.019 all the time and never had any problems.

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
parasites and diseases are tough whenever you are dealing with a reef system. most of the time it is better to just leave the fish in the tank and let it fend it off on its own. keeping stresses to a minimum is very important. one of these is keeping a consistant temp. temp swings are stressfull. fish normally have the ability to move up and down the reef face to adjust their temp if they so inclined, but most of the time the temp changes very slowly on the reef.

UV's only kill the parasites that actually go through the sterilizer. this is not that high of a percentage. exspecially since a fair a mount of the time ich is dormant on the substrate.

G~

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Geoff said:
UV's only kill the parasites that actually go through the sterilizer. this is not that high of a percentage. exspecially since a fair a mount of the time ich is dormant on the substrate.

G~
So, ok, I have to ask, fish on BB tanks do not get ich? or it is just more difficult for them to get it? :nuts: :confused:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts