The Reef Tank banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Officer Tang
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow reefers,

I'm writing to ask everyone's opinion on a water spill incident I had as well as it's lasting annoyances.

Basically, while I was napping the other day, the felt bag that catches the dumped water got clogged, and about 5 gallons of water ended up spilling out of the sump and onto the floor of the stand. Luckily, the stand is like a large cabinet and most of the water was retained in the stand with little leaking on the floor. I dried as much of the stand as was possible, and thought that it was business as usual. However, every day since (this was about 4 days ago) I'm still finding puddles of water in areas that I had previously mopped up. Following the water to the source, I can tell that the water is still seeping out from under the sump and fuge.

Now, my concern is that there is some sort of secondary leak unrelated to the original incident that is causing water to continue to leak into the stand. what I think might be happening is that when the stand got full of 5 or so gallons of water, some of this water seeped under the sump and fuge, and now that the surrounding water has been cleared, this trapped water is slowly seeping it's way back out. The sump is bare-bottom, and I can see little beads of moisture collecting underneath the sump, so I know there has to be some water trapped under there, but I find it odd that it's taking so long to fully seep out. I'm wondering if anyone has ever had a similar experience.

my sump is 40 gallons, and the fuge is 30 gallon tank with a deep sand bed. Do you think that the DSB is too much for the 30 to take and it sprung a leak? Both the sump and fuge are dead flat against the base of the stand, so I dont think weight distribution should be a problem.

Thoughts, condolences, and suggestions are appreciated.

·
Gray Whale
657 Posts
You could tuck a towel or folded paper towels in the edge of the sump and stand... this will help "wick" the water out.

·
Officer Tang
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Interesting idea, I hadnt really thought of doing that, but if it is just trapped water and not a secondary leak I think that is a reasonable course of action.

Anyone know if I'm pressing my luck with the DSB in a 30 long? I hadnt considered the possibility that the weight could cause some bowing of the glass and a resultant leak, but from my reading today it looks like that could be the case. It just seems like an awfully big coincidence that these puddles started showing up after I had a major spill. At least that's what I like to tell myself so I can sleep at night.

·
Gray Whale
657 Posts
Well if that's route you chose to take, using the DSB, unless it Is causing bowing in the glass, continue to use it till you get "swayed" not to... hehe (I'm sure someone will suggest going Bare Bottom;))

I would try the "wicking" first before you make any major adjustments...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts