The Reef Tank banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a fluval edge 12 gallon reef tank going. at the moment i have stopped using the included HOB filter and just using live rock, and 2 powerheads for filtration. any way to make a fuge out of a 2 gallon spec? or am I overthinking this?

thanks!

·
Keen Reefer
2,164 Posts
Welcome to TRT!!

I wouldn't worry about a fuge on such a small tank. Live rock and weekly water changes will suffice. :)

·
Registered
870 Posts
But if you wanted a little display fuge that would be cool. If you could drill the 2 for an overflow and have it setup slightly higher so gravity takes the water down to main tank and use a small pH to pump it back up. A nice little mangrove would look cool.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That would be pretty cool, only problem is the only spot for the 2 gallon would be below the main tank. It's sitting on top of a bookcase..

There's the stock hob filter on there right now with all the media removed as per advice from another member. Right now I'm just using it for some water movement. Should I just get rid of it? Some people have said they replaced the media with their own stuff, should I go that route? Or just get another powerhead and leave it at that?

·
Keen Reefer
2,164 Posts
You could keep the hob. I would fill it with carbon or some cut up phosphate pads or some thing for a little bit of filtration. JMO :)

·
Premium Member
4,738 Posts
id just leave it empty and just use it for a bit of extra flow. why were/are you interested in a refugium? if there is a specific purpose and they are designed correctly on the right kind of system, they may work, but if you want it for "extra filtration", id skip it. itll just be one more thing to keep clean.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts