The Reef Tank banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Reefaholic
2,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

A local reefer gave me this guy today. I have always wanted one... such a cool crab! My worry is from all my reading a lot of people say they do not live very long (>6 months) in an aquarium setting, while a few people have said they had theirs for years. Who has had these successfully? I am wondering if I should start adding plankton to my tank again, or how to best care for it to have the best chance of long term survival. He is hiding under a rock right now, but I can see him feeding.

·
Premium Member
12,214 Posts
I thought Porcelain crabs were Anemone crabs......lighter in color, small and not with those scary looking claws.

Keep us in the loop.

·
Premium Member
7,375 Posts
There are some porcelain crabs that live with anemones, and some that don't. None of them are really crabs. They're squat lobsters.

The ones, like the one above, are almost exclusively filter feeders, so they typically don't do well in the average aquarium.

I've had some success by placing pellets in a small jar near a strong flow. As the pellets break down, small particles drift out of the jar, and the crabs take up position down stream to feed.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
I have had my pair for about 18 months. They found their home in the rocks under my MP40. I would seem to think the undertow if bringing them their food. I do not do anything special to keep them. They seem to manage well. They molt every 6 to 8 weeks. Each time I take a head count to ensure they made it.

·
Reefaholic
2,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ha...hey Modulus, is this your first lobster???
I guess so :) I had no idea they were actually lobsters. I did see him out with his fans so I'm certain it is a porcelain crab. I read the lighter colored ones are typically the anemone crabs... White with red markings. That's a good idea, Elegance. I do have a lot of extra pellets I can use for that.

·
Export with Care!
6,789 Posts
Mine lasted about 3 years. Nothing special needed. Filter fed and scavenged food.
Shared a home with a cherub angel for a year.

Claws look mean but watch them try and use them. Lol their clumsy with those big claws. Still potential but I doubt they could hunt down much with them. Mine had argument with a narcissus snail once. The snail won if that tells you anything.

They too out around 5 years from babies if I remember right we often get them as adults so 1-3 is probably the norm. Some types vary a bit more in size and life span though.
Mine was blue and white so 3" max size on average. White red 3.5" maybe max.

They love to hide but some in time get used to is and the other tank mates and come our more.

·
Reefaholic
2,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mine lasted about 3 years. Nothing special needed. Filter fed and scavenged food.
Shared a home with a cherub angel for a year.

Claws look mean but watch them try and use them. Lol their clumsy with those big claws. Still potential but I doubt they could hunt down much with them. Mine had argument with a narcissus snail once. The snail won if that tells you anything.
After acclimation I put him in. A chromis came to investigate and instead of it raising its claws like I expected it scurried away under a rock as fast as it could. It seems they just use the claws to prop themselves up when feeding. That is all I have seen so far anyway. Nice avatar :)

·
Export with Care!
6,789 Posts
After acclimation I put him in. A chromis came to investigate and instead of it raising its claws like I expected it scurried away under a rock as fast as it could. It seems they just use the claws to prop themselves up when feeding. That is all I have seen so far anyway. Nice avatar :)
Watching them get pellets is funny it's like some one in arm casts trying to stack dominoes :)

·
Reefaholic
2,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Watching them get pellets is funny it's like some one in arm casts trying to stack dominoes :)
Haha, I gotta try that! I was thinking of using an old API test tube, poke holes in the cap, and put one pellet in there with some rubble rock to hold it down. I might even skip the cap and just put the pellet in before the rock. Then I can place the opening next to his cave and he can eat while it breaks up. Sound good? I like the idea.

·
Export with Care!
6,789 Posts
Oh they will just eat the pellets solid they love them. Their scavengers that filter feed to pass the time basically :)

·
Registered
294 Posts
I ordered 5 of these. One died in shipping, 3 went into my tank, and 1 went into a friend's tank.

I have pulled 4 "bodies" out of my tank, and I know there is at least one still alive. I have only seen the one on a regular basis, but they're pretty shy and he happens to be in a hole that has a good line of sight to the front of the tank.

Can't tell you much about long-term viability, but I can say he loves it when I feed Coral Frenzy. That's about the only guarantee I have that I'll see him feeding. Otherwise he's just hidden away in his caves most of the time. Hopefully as he gets bigger he gets bolder, but we'll see.

From some research I did before getting them, that big claw is mostly just a decoy. If they're threatened they can drop a claw off completely and grow it back with their next molt.

·
Aquatic Philosopher
15,434 Posts
Yeah, I like mine but never see him... except when I move the rockwork around.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts