The Reef Tank banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! This is my first post and I was hoping to receive some advice on my branching hammer coral. In July 2014 I noticed that my hammer had taken a nose dive and started shriveling up. After a week of only extending to 1/4th of its original size I noticed that a strand of tissue on the bottom of a head had begun dropping off. A day later this tissue had detached and floated to the other side of my tank leaving my main colony in perfect condition. It became wedged in a crevice of a rock and after several weeks it began to grow small polyps. I continued to let it grow and then when it became too large for the crevice I picked it out and glued it to a small piece of live rock as an experiment. It has been over 6 months since this occurred and now that piece of tissue has multiple budding heads growing off of it. In the same crevice that the tissue had floated to I have recently discovered another polyp beginning to grow. Has anyone experienced this before and could tell me what the heck has happened? I have not found a lot of research other than "polyp bailout". I am excited to see how these new colonies take off and would love to hear anyone's comments on what could have caused this. Thanks! IMG_1926.jpg

IMG_1925.jpg

IMG_2232.jpg

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
IMG_3120.jpg

IMG_3122.jpg

IMG_3123.jpg

These pictures consist of the new growth on the dropped tissue as of this afternoon, the main colony now, and the new polyp (unsure if that is the right term).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts