Votes: 4 2.9%
  • 1 month and more

Votes: 3 2.2%
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading the thread related to tank watching, and noted to myself that I haven't been out of town long enough, since I've been reefing, for me to obtain a "sitter" (me assuming that there will be no crazy castastrophies).

So, how long are you comfortable leaving your tank without anyone to watch? Note that, depending on your setup, this may be a different question from how long can your tank go on autopilot.

For me, both factors depend on the supply of make-up water. Since I have a gravity fed float valve with a resevoir as well as a dosing pump with a separate kalk resevoir, during the summer I can go about a week before I need to top off. Maybe a few extra days if I overfill the sump before I leave. A week is also about my comfort level.... I must say that I'd be holding my breath when I checked in though....

For other folks who have the RO/DI plumbed straight into your tank, you may not have any hard cut-off at all.... but at what point do you start getting uncomfortable not having someone come and just take a quick look to see if everything seems to be working ok?

·
Registered
338 Posts
Lets go back to positive stories of people going out of town. I am in Las Vegas for a week, coming back this Saturday with my neighbor feeding an topping off my two systems.

Hopefully all is well when I return home

Mike

·
Registered
236 Posts
Chris,

Thats a great question.

My opinion is with a new setup, I'm very reluctant to be away even a few days (like now, i'm in Greenwich CT, opps i'm starting to worry), however after a half year or so, i'm relaxed about the whole thing. Feeding would be good, water changes can be done before and after the vacation period.

Again I think this all depends on your exact setup and how pedantic you are with regards to maintenance.

I've been away for 2 months before (a trip to Oz), came back to a slightly greener tank but that was it. The lady overfeed the fish 4x the amount I told her, and she didn't clean the glass. No biggy.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I am. This customer has given me a large office to myself, big fools them.

Yeah the lobster is big, let me feed it a bit more and then you can come over for nice bbq lobster tail. Opps sorry Steve, I mean it'll have a nice life in my sump.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I usually premix some auto top off water, and daily food amounts so as long as they know how to defrost food and refill the auto top off tanks a a month or more is no biggie.

but they can go for 2 weeks just being fed no problem.

Necessity might be the mother of invention but lazyness sure as hell is the father;)

·
Summer and Alyssa's Daddy
2,679 Posts
Yes, I try and make it as easy as I can for the sitter. Fortunatly I have a son that has a clue about fish tanks.

And if it is a weekend trip with no one home, I actually will turn off my Halides and just work off of Power Compacts. Two reasons. Keep temperature down to absolute lowest, and it keeps my evap rate down. My fish don't get fed but once every three days so a weekend is no prob for them

Ray

·
Registered
474 Posts
No problem with weekends, but more than 3 or 4 days and we need a sitter. If I only had the one 30 gal tank I could go a week with no sitter. We have an auto flake feeder on both tanks that work great, but the 50-gal has a cardinal that won't eat flake. We have come home from week long (baby sat) vacations twice to a sick cardinal and spent the next two weeks with him in QT on antibiotics. So we are a little gun shy.

Chris

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
i think my tank would be fine if i had an auto topoff, but untill then, it needs fresh ro every other day.

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
I worry as soon as I leave. I once left for 5 days and the tank looked better than when I had left. It can only go about a week without topping off and the fish seem to always find some food.
Ditto...I worry when I go to work every day (unfortunately)...so many places for something to go wrong. Last time we went away, a connection on my RO/DI came loose (have no idea how) and I had about 20 gals of RO/DI water on my floor...

That would never happen if I was home...lol! I have a friend that can feed and stuff, but if I go he only comes over about every other day so there is always a chance of a problem...I hate to worry, but there is no drain in my floor so when it gets wet, it gets WET!

·
Mommy Mod
5,294 Posts
How many WORRIED about what they would find when they got back???
me me memememe!!!

Every time i leave i worry - tanks have only been up since june and i have left 3 times and somehow a fish ends up dead every time i leave :(

Gotta write more detailed instructions for my dear husband maybe... if it was the shrimp I would know he couldn't find dinner :D

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.