The Reef Tank banner

Should we have our own Forum or stay with TRT ?

• Host our own and set our own rules.

Votes: 17 30.9%
  • Stay with TRT.

Votes: 38 69.1%
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Banned
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since it has been brought up numerous times, what does everyone think ?

I puposely posetd this in the MO section as I think only members should decide. If the uppers think that non-members should be allowed to vote then please move it to the open forum ;)

·
Land Shark
5,946 Posts
Frogbone said:
I puposely posetd this in the MO section as I think only members should decide.
Good, now I don't have to move it here. ;)

The whole mod problem, IMO, is that the local mods are in a tough position. They don't get the "street cred" or respect that the other mods on this site get...hence the reason I often ask one of the other mods of this site to look into something so I don't have to.

·
Got Crabs?
5,526 Posts
The other mods make their PM's available. Otherwise your street creds are good with me.:thumbup:

·
Got Crabs?
5,526 Posts
otolith said:
Fine, you whiner, I'll turn them back on. ;)
I think I am going to be the TCMAS whiner from now on and make every mod aware of every questionable post from this point on:rolleyes: . See if you whine enough you get your way:rotflmao: . I keed I keed I have much better things to do, life is to short, but there will definatelly be no more joking around it is just to dangerous.

·
Premium Member
9,467 Posts
My 2 cents.

Perhaps the better question to ask is whether going to a forum with "your own rules" is going to solve the problem. It depends on what your goals are, but seeing as how a large number of your own members have been ASKING us to enforce our rules, I doubt the problems you are having will magically go away by "setting your own rules".

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to sway your choice one way or another, it is your choice, and one I will be happy with either way. The club forums are a service we provide for the benefit of the club. If you don't see it as a benefit then by all means you should do what you feel is best. I wish you luck and wisdom in making your decision.

PS> If you do decide to leave, I promise I won't come on your website and start a poll asking if everyone wants to come back to TRT. That would be tacky.

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
I said this in Fritz's thread on the same subject: If it aint broke, dont fix it. Now, I will admit, somthing is broken here, but it is not the forum we are on.

·
Semi-retar...eh...retired
2,995 Posts
My vote is to remain, not that my tankless behind matters. :funny:

The framework of TRT rules inconveniences us in minor (if any) ways.
I think the watchful outside eye is a good thing - and something we shouldn't take for granted.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
gregt said:
PS> If you do decide to leave, I promise I won't come on your website and start a poll asking if everyone wants to come back to TRT. That would be tacky.
sorry if you were offended greg! everyone here is very appreciative of the site and service you have offered us. your forum has been and remains a great asset to this club!

the idea behind starting our own forum is that it would allow our "commercial" members to post more freely without the obvious conflicts of interest with TRTs sponsors. its not because your forum is lacking, or too strict. and it is certainly not because your site is slow with a disabled search function:lol: honestly the hypothesized move is as much about respecting you and your sponsors as it is about enriching our club. your sponsors pay to advertise on your board and as such they shouldn't have to worry about commercial trespassers (i'll qualify that by saying that i think most of our commercial entities are very conscientious, respectful and play by rules). understandably commercial posting by non-sponsors must be policed. it is not reasonable for us to expect anything less...

so greg-forgive our insensitivities ( i blame it all on frogbone:p ), its not our intention to bash the site or its management (part of the reasoning for keeping in the MO section-that and sometimes its best not to air our dirty laundry). the poll was just to gauge TCMAS sentiment towards a move-and as you can see currently the majority would like to stay.

for the record i am skeptical that a new site will be our utopia

rich

·
Got Crabs?
5,526 Posts
Twins Guy said:
sorry if you were offended greg! everyone here is very appreciative of the site and service you have offered us. your forum has been and remains a great asset to this club!

the idea behind starting our own forum is that it would allow our "commercial" members to post more freely without the obvious conflicts of interest with TRTs sponsors. its not because your forum is lacking, or too strict. and it is certainly not because your site is slow with a disabled search function:lol: honestly the hypothesized move is as much about respecting you and your sponsors as it is about enriching our club. your sponsors pay to advertise on your board and as such they shouldn't have to worry about commercial trespassers (i'll qualify that by saying that i think most of our commercial entities are very conscientious, respectful and play by rules). understandably commercial posting by non-sponsors must be policed. it is not reasonable for us to expect anything less...

so greg-forgive our insensitivities ( i blame it all on frogbone:p ), its not our intention to bash the site or its management (part of the reasoning for keeping in the MO section-that and sometimes its best not to air our dirty laundry). the poll was just to gauge TCMAS sentiment towards a move-and as you can see currently the majority would like to stay.

for the record i am skeptical that a new site will be our utopia

rich
Rich you hit it on the head there buddy:) Greg I sent you a PM.

·
Premium Member
9,467 Posts
the idea behind starting our own forum is that it would allow our "commercial" members to post more freely without the obvious conflicts of interest with TRTs sponsors.
You already have the freedom to set your own rules on this subject in your members only forum. If you choose to allow commercial posting in that forum it would not be against TRT rules. We also offer a program (which your club is not currently taking advantage of) for your club to offer sponsorship banners within your forums with the proceeds going to your club...

·
Premium Member
13,218 Posts
Twins Guy said:
(i'll qualify that by saying that i think most of our commercial entities are very conscientious, respectful and play by rules). understandably commercial posting by non-sponsors must be policed. it is not reasonable for us to expect anything less...
rich
Hey Rich :wavey: I don't post much to your board, but I do read it. I like reading what you guys say. :)

I think the problem is, you guys don't know the 'rules'. Get with Greg and have him explain it to you. I have seen people post things that they "think" are the rules, and they were wrong. Plus, you're not taking advantage of all the things you can do.
He's got it set up to where it is like having your own forum.

Posted by Greg:
You already have the freedom to set your own rules on this subject in your members only forum. If you choose to allow commercial posting in that forum it would not be against TRT rules. We also offer a program (which your club is not currently taking advantage of) for your club to offer sponsorship banners within your forums with the proceeds going to your club...

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
you guys are preaching to the choir...but i will say that having the rules laid out/highlighted in a visible location-perhaps within the TCMAS area (or customized for the TCMAS members only area) might alleviate some of the confusion that spanks is referencing. maybe that is all our club needs...

as far as the other options for our MO area-not sure if our commercial members would be interested in something like that (sponsorship)-or if our club wants to go that route-involving money. that's not our intention-to raise money through the website. our club is free of dues and we've been relatively successful with fund raising efforts (recently) in order to bring in speakers-thanks to donations by members and businesses alike. otherwise our club functions through the generosity of our meeting hosts. i think money only complicates the direction of the club.

anyways-thanks for checking in on us. again i am anti-move...

rich

·
Registered
235 Posts
I vote stay with TRT.
I would not have found TCMAS had it not been for TRT. A google search would probably not find a forum we setup for ourselves elsewhere unless we paid or begged for a link on one of the major reef sites.. ie TRT.

So, my .02, having our forum on TRT is great free advertising for our club. Not many things are free these days and I don't think the rules are overly burdensome.

At the same time, I agree that our commercial members would like a space to advertise their goods and post sales, etc. without crossing the lines of TRT rules. Why don't we set them up on the TCMAS website? The site definately needs some updating, but I think that would be a better route than losing our own forum here and creating more headaches with our own forum elsewhere..

.. my morning thoughts.. maybe I need coffee before I post, I think I just said the same thing three different ways... :funny: :funny: :funny:

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Twins Guy said:
you guys are preaching to the choir...but i will say that having the rules laid out/highlighted in a visible location-perhaps within the TCMAS area (or customized for the TCMAS members only area) might alleviate some of the confusion that spanks is referencing. maybe that is all our club needs...
i have been set straight...
http://www.thereeftank.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64119

·
Semi-retar...eh...retired
2,995 Posts
There's nothing stopping vendors from posting in the MO forum. I don't understand why this should even be an issue. :confused:

The point is that commercial entities posting to public forums undermines the sponsors. Simple solution - post in the MO forum. Greg and Co. have been nice enough to let us have this for FREE and give commersh the liberty to advertise for FREE! I find it somewhat thankless that something like a move is even being proposed. The issues are with the club, not with TRT. That needs to be made ultra clear. Moving to a new site ain't gonna fix that. You can bet on it.

While I have never administrated a BB, I know folks who know what goes into it. From what I gather, it would be one rude awakening for anyone who thinks it would be a seamless transition in any sense of the word. Plus, there is no doubt that fewer people would find us and there is no doubt that some people wouldn't migrate at all. All in all, I only see it benefitting the commercial entities, but mostly the mods who would have ultimate power. How does that benefit the club?

As I also said before, having that "third party" is an invaluable asset. I have a feeling this club would implode if it were to self-moderate its own BB - especially in light of the fact that the two candidates for President are the only ones in the club that I can remember being banned from this site (if only temporarily) in recent memory. How does that sit with "the peeps?" I know it doesn't make us look good in the eyes of the Admins of this site....and it doesn't bode well for our own BB.

I for one would likely have little, if anything, to do with it. Maybe that's incentive enough to move. :funny:

·
I got brains!!
1,523 Posts
well said, TRT doesn't have to fix us, we need to fix us

Graham said:
There's nothing stopping vendors from posting in the MO forum. I don't understand why this should even be an issue. :confused:

The point is that commercial entities posting to public forums undermines the sponsors. Simple solution - post in the MO forum. Greg and Co. have been nice enough to let us have this for FREE and give commersh the liberty to advertise for FREE! I find it somewhat thankless that something like a move is even being proposed. The issues are with the club, not with TRT. That needs to be made ultra clear. Moving to a new site ain't gonna fix that. You can bet on it.

While I have never administrated a BB, I know folks who know what goes into it. From what I gather, it would be one rude awakening for anyone who thinks it would be a seamless transition in any sense of the word. Plus, there is no doubt that fewer people would find us and there is no doubt that some people wouldn't migrate at all. All in all, I only see it benefitting the commercial entities, but mostly the mods who would have ultimate power. How does that benefit the club?

As I also said before, having that "third party" is an invaluable asset. I have a feeling this club would implode if it were to self-moderate its own BB - especially in light of the fact that the two candidates for President are the only ones in the club that I can remember being banned from this site (if only temporarily) in recent memory. How does that sit with "the peeps?" I know it doesn't make us look good in the eyes of the Admins of this site....and it doesn't bode well for our own BB.

I for one would likely have little, if anything, to do with it. Maybe that's incentive enough to move. :funny:

1 - 20 of 72 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.